CORROSSION HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

I wood like to know if anyone on here has used anything like the liquid tape spray to coat terminals to prevent corrossion ? And if it works or they have a better method.

I wood like to know if anyone on here has used anything like the liquid tape spray to coat terminals to prevent corrossion ? And if it works or they have a better method.

'Liquid tape' spray is not designed for that purpose. Its bonding is designed for wire material insulation so its adhesion to metal would be questionable. That would allow atmospheric moisture to find its way to the conductive parts which is the corrosion initiator.

You will find better results with Penetrox or the suggested Ilsco product.They are grease-like substances and liberal application of those before the wires inserted and the connections are tightened will form a seal that will exclude moisture.

In heavily corrosive areas, especially chlorine and sulfate laden atmospheres, pressurizing-purging the enclosures with inert gas or dry air works. People often think that a NEMA4X enclosure is a solution, but I found frequently that pristine looking enclosures contained a bucket of unrecogizable mass of rust. Crouse Hinds marketed some time ago a chemical laden sponge, that placed inside enclosure seem to trap the corrosives, but it needed to be replaced at regular intervals and I think eventually proved to be a marketing failure as I don't seeit widely usedin our industry. http://www.cooperindustries.com/con... Accessories - Corrosion Inhibitor Device.pdf

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I suspect some kind of grease or de-ox would work better but is pretty messy.

As another poster suggested pressurization works well. Some places have oily or watery air though and the cabinet gets kind of icky inside, and air is kind of expensive.

In most cases, the connection itself is fine. the corrosion is where you can see but a well made up connection usually does not corrode where the connection actually is.

In some respects it depends on what the corroding agent is.

I was at a place once that mounted small fans in areas that don't have corrosive agents to blow air through the conduit system into junction boxes that are in more corrosion prone areas. No idea how well it worked.

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/neverseez.htm?gclid=CP_L28nQiasCFR9hgwodrX_J4Q

they have a number of different products here, some conductive, some not.
some high nickel for nuclear reactors, if your nuke is getting rusty....

refineries use the stuff by the pail. they need to.

note: some of these contain graphite, copper, and god-knows-what.
one spoonfull will cover an entire football field with an indelible smudge.
you have been warned.

Last edited:
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/neverseez.htm?gclid=CP_L28nQiasCFR9hgwodrX_J4Q

they have a number of different products here, some conductive, some not.
some high nickel for nuclear reactors, if your nuke is getting rusty....

refineries use the stuff by the pail. they need to.

note: some of these contain graphite, copper, and god-knows-what.
one spoonfull will cover an entire football field with an indelible smudge.
you have been warned.

Hmmmm, but does any of this have ANYTHING to do with ELECTRICAL connection corrosion?

Status
Not open for further replies.