Fixed appliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
What do it say in #2?

#2 is for equipment fastened in place.

A microwave that hangs from the underside of a cabinet is fastened in place. One that sits on a shelf, countertop or inside a cabinet typically is not fastened in place and is no different than the average household toaster, blender or other portable appliance.

jumper

That article speaks only about the range hood, not a microwave.

422.16(B)(4) was added to the 2005 specifically for combo micro/range hoods. Regular hoods are usually hard wired.

Panel Statement:
The permission to use cord-and-plug connection provides the ability to upgrade to a combined microwave range hood. The panel added the additional requirements to ensure a safe installation of a combined microwave range hood.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
422.16(B)(4) was added to the 2005 specifically for combo micro/range hoods. Regular hoods are usually hard wired.
Pity they didn't use the phrase "combined microwave range hood" in the final text. :roll: The panel statements end up meaning nothing, after the book itself is published. :happyno:

hurk27

#2 is for equipment fastened in place.

A microwave that hangs from the underside of a cabinet is fastened in place. One that sits on a shelf, countertop or inside a cabinet typically is not fastened in place and is no different than the average household toaster, blender or other portable appliance.

I agree if you were to put a hole in the bottom of this shelf and the cord would reach a counter receptacle I would say its code compliant, as some of these shelfs come with this hole for this, but the problem is when you install a receptacle in the back of this cabinet/shelf that this receptacle is not allowed to be on a SABC circuit, because it does not serve a SABC allowed area.

iwire

Staff member
Can I plug this 800 watt micro, that is fastened in place, into a counter top SABC receptacle or not?

micro.jpg

Yes, IMHO. And the other half of that duplex can be used to plug in the undercabinet puck light. Perhaps one or both of those ideas might not be for the best, but neither is forbidden by the NEC.

I agree with Mr Beck. :)

OMG ......... the planets have all alined, the end is near!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Bjenks

Pity they didn't use the phrase "combined microwave range hood" in the final text. :roll: The panel statements end up meaning nothing, after the book itself is published. :happyno:

Its been a long time since I saw a microwave that is mounted over the stove that didn't also have a fan in it that acted as a range hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.