Building Dept Inspection timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking how long you have to get an inspection, our permits are good for 180 days from the date of issuance or the last inspection. If you mean how long can we make you wait to get an inspection, I'm not sure that's covered, but we are next day here if called in before 4 pm.

bphgravity

We also offer next day inspections if scheduled prior to midnight the day before. I frequently perform same day inspections when possible & when time allows. There have only been a hand-full of occassions where an inspection has been rolled over to the next day, but for good reason.

Check your local administrative code and/or state statutes. Also check to see if the local building department in question has a written policy and procedure manual....

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have waited up to three days after scheduling an inspection, but usually it is because they have people out sick or a backlog of inspections, but some jurisdictions still will not give you even an approximate day they will show up. Job cost killer if it's not a very big job. I know they can't give exact time they will be there, but at least what day. (doesn't happen too often though, thank goodness) IF you can get a hold of the inspector, they are usually pretty good at giving you an approximate time. 10 days though is a little extreme, especially if it is holding up a large job. Sounds political.

RICK NAPIER

The law in NJ says that you have to request an inspection 24 hours in advance and then they have three days to do the inspection. For minor work they 30 days.

5:23-2.18 (c) Notice for inspection:

1. The owner or other responsible person in charge of work shall notify the enforcing agency when the work is ready for any required inspection specified herein or required by the construction official or appropriate subcode official. This notice shall be given at least 24 hours prior to the time the inspection is desired. This notice shall represent an attestation on the part of the owner, other than single-family owner-occupants performing their own work, or other responsible person in charge of work, that the work has been completed in conformance with the code and is ready for inspection.
2. Inspections shall be performed within three business days of the time for which it was requested. The work shall not proceed in a manner which will preclude the inspection until it has been made.

Here is a link to the UCC that has the requirements through out NJ.
http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/ucc.html

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I waited almost a month in one large Northern NJ town (that shall remain nameless) for a rough inspection during the summer when the EI was on vacation..

the blur

in my area of NY, it's all private inspection companies. the town doesn't do electical inspections. So we simply move on to the next private inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.