Old Work Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddoghaus

Got an issue at work were a pipe run was put in that exceeded the 360 degree bend rule and a co-worker used that pipe to pull through on his way to a new drop. Looking for the code reference that says old work must be brought current if you touch it. Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is nothing that states exactly what you said. This would be an inspectors call. I am pretty sure more than 360 degrees was never code complaint so I would say you have to bring it to code. It would be an inspector call. If you are running new wires in the conduit then it must meet today's code, IMO.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would agree with Dennis. My guess would be that either it never got inspected in the first place or it's a really long run and nobody really took the time to look at it.

I would probably look to see if you got the wire through without to much damage and if you did, I probably wouldn't have much concern over it.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If it's existing and the guy was able to pull a new circuit through it without much trouble, what's the big deal? Really?

I'd look at this like I'd look at an existing strap 37" from a box. Sure you can fix it and put a strap at 36" to satisfy code, but how much are you really helping?

cadpoint

What is in the existing conduit? Besides that its 360?

What size is the existing conduits?

What is the fill on the conduit before and after the added wire?

Break up the 360...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Got an issue at work were a pipe run was put in that exceeded the 360 degree bend rule and a co-worker used that pipe to pull through on his way to a new drop. Looking for the code reference that says old work must be brought current if you touch it. Thanks.

There is nothing that states exactly what you said. This would be an inspectors call. I am pretty sure more than 360 degrees was never code complaint so I would say you have to bring it to code. It would be an inspector call. If you are running new wires in the conduit then it must meet today's code, IMO.

There is nothing in the code that says anything about what has to be done with existing work as far as bringing it up to code. Each AHJ has to create rules about this situation. I suspect very few jurisidictions actually grant individual inspectors authority to make this call, although as a practical matter, it is probably commonly handled that way.

If it bothers you, cut in a j-box as another poster suggested.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Looking for the code reference that says old work must be brought current if you touch it.
You have it backwards. It is more a matter of, "If you don't touch it, you don't have to bring it up to code," though that is not explicitly stated in the NEC. The code essentially says, "Do this." So if you are doing something, you have to do it per code. The so-called "Grandfather Clause," the one that says that existing installations don't have to be brought up to new code standards (unless the AHJ thinks it is dangerous as-installed), is in 80.9(B). That is in Annex H of the 2008 NEC, and is therefore not enforceable. In my area, and I suspect in many other areas, there is a local code that essentially says that you can't use the Grandfather Clause, if the installation did not meet the code that was in effect when it was installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.