Which wiring method should I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I have a small cafe with a kitchen. THey will do alot of baking in the kitchen as well as washing farm produce that they sell at the farmers market. There is also a small creamery where they will make ice cream from there goats milk. It is a stick built building with drywall and .75 inch paneling inside and metal siding on the outside. It is a class B occupancy (under 50 people). What wiring methods do I need to use. There are no specs for the buildings. It is on a farm so is somewhat agriculture and did not require a commercial building permit because of its small size. I am install egress lighting. But am a little confused on what wiring method I can use. I believe I can use NM. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Volta

You could go with PVC. It is not likely to be subjected to damage, as it will be generally over head, it won't rust or need grounding, and can deal with over spray.

It would also comply with Agricultural Building requirements, if ever needed in the future. I doubt it is now though, without livestock.

UF would be a second choice.

hurk27

Just because this on a farm does not make it a horse barn, no more then a house on this same property, NM should be just fine if your local code allows it.
But there are other requirements for a commercial kitchen and with ovens might require a hood with an Ansel system with a cut off for all electric under it and gas, it would depend upon the type of oven.

kwired

Electron manager
It is not an article 547 building. If there is livestock in the building then only the portion that houses the livestock applies to 547.

You need to ask which wiring methods you can not use more so than asking what you can use. For the most part you can use any method you wish unless you come up with a reason why a particular method can not be used. With NM cable the method of construction comes into play. You may be able to use NM on most of the project but some areas it may not be acceptable.

growler

I have a small cafe with a kitchen. THey will do alot of baking in the kitchen as well as washing farm produce that they sell at the farmers market. There is also a small creamery where they will make ice cream from there goats milk. It is a stick built building with drywall and .75 inch paneling inside and metal siding on the outside. It is a class B occupancy (under 50 people). What wiring methods do I need to use. There are no specs for the buildings. It is on a farm so is somewhat agriculture and did not require a commercial building permit because of its small size. I am install egress lighting. But am a little confused on what wiring method I can use. I believe I can use NM. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

From what I have seen they will issue a permit to build almost anything out on the farm because zoneing is not a real problem.

They may have a problem when they try to get a business license to open a cafe/restaurant or to produce dairy products for sale to the public.

When building any business where food is involved it's best to start with the health department and see if what you are building will pass their inspection. When a business is open to the public then also check with the fire department ( Fire Marshals Office ).

Once you know what you need to build you know what wireing methods to use.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
hurk27 and growler pretty much voiced my opinion. NM should be o.k. as long as you can follow Art 334 guidelines.
I would urge the owners/GC to discuss the job with the health dept.
Locally, the pine is normally not acceptable in a kitchen.

arnettda

hurk27 and growler pretty much voiced my opinion. NM should be o.k. as long as you can follow Art 334 guidelines.
I would urge the owners/GC to discuss the job with the health dept.
Locally, the pine is normally not acceptable in a kitchen.

I checked with Health inspector they do not care as long as I follow commercial building codes. Or the NEC. Pine will not be in Kitchen Just Dinning area. Sheet rock with what I would call milk board on the outside of it in Kitchen and creamery.

kwired

Electron manager
From what I have seen they will issue a permit to build almost anything out on the farm because zoneing is not a real problem.

They may have a problem when they try to get a business license to open a cafe/restaurant or to produce dairy products for sale to the public.

When building any business where food is involved it's best to start with the health department and see if what you are building will pass their inspection. When a business is open to the public then also check with the fire department ( Fire Marshals Office ).

Once you know what you need to build you know what wireing methods to use.

When it comes to livestock operations over 100 head (higher for poultry but I am not sure what the number is), zoning has become a big issue around here. The concern is wastewater management and possible ground water contamination.

Ragin Cajun

How are they insulating the walls?

If fiberglass, go with NM, by far the least cost.

If expanding foam, EMT with a few empty conduits will give flexibility should you need to make changes on a given circuit or add circuits. Very difficult to add after the foam is in.

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.