Small Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
GC asked for bid on a local project so I gave it a shot. Not something I would usually bid on but what the heck. I have inexpensive estimating software that I do not use very often so I updated the files and tried it out. I was high by about $3k, on a 23K project and I had padded it a bit "just because". Quite suprised at how close I was. Test would have been if I actually made any money on the project but that is just a minor detail.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Sometimes the best jobs are the ones you don't get.

company i was working for was second bidder at $26.4 M on a project. the winner? $18.8M.

it was a green book thing, public works.... the city accepted the low bid. the owners of my company
just made sure the other guys bonding company knew where to find them.

5 years later, it's still being sorted in lawsuits. how fun.

zog

company i was working for was second bidder at $26.4 M on a project. the winner? $18.8M.

it was a green book thing, public works.... the city accepted the low bid. the owners of my company
just made sure the other guys bonding company knew where to find them.

5 years later, it's still being sorted in lawsuits. how fun.

I get a lot of those, a year later they come back to me.

satcom

For some reason it wouldn't let me put on a smiley face. Still won't.

Yup, it is a sad face needed, of the many guys, that have asked me to help, when their business starts to sink, a good percent of them, were bidding with out regard to the cost of bringing the job in, and clearing expenses, along with making a small profit, I could spend hours helping them understanding the practices they need to apply to bring in a job and end up with a profit, their urge to compete seems to overweigh the danger of sinking their own ship.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Yup, it is a sad face needed, of the many guys, that have asked me to help, when their business starts to sink, a good percent of them, were bidding with out regard to the cost of bringing the job in, and clearing expenses, along with making a small profit, I could spend hours helping them understanding the practices they need to apply to bring in a job and end up with a profit, their urge to compete seems to overweigh the danger of sinking their own ship.

Actually I was trying to be a smart @#$, but it didn't come off right.:happyno: Oh now it lets me.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

well, the bare bones business plan, mentioned in another thread, lets you work up a realistic labor number for bidding.
it's a two day weekend slam dunk buisness plan, by a business coach.

i'd put the excel spreadsheet up online, and a link to it, but i don't own it.... however, anyone can find it and download
it themselves from the owners of the sheet.

and after being on this forum a while, and hearing endless queries about pricing, and the same "do you know your cost
of doing business?" replies, i followed the suggestions to get my stuff in order, and then i don't need to come here
and ask "how much"?

there's a reason flat rate pricing works. you tell a customer your costs of making that billable hour available to them
costs you $91, or whatever your spreadsheet says it is, and they have a cow.

you tell them that whatever they want done costs whatever it does, and they can take or leave it. once you get
into a customer reviewing what you are charging them, on a per item basis, it gets ugly fast.

unless someone is a partner in my business, it's none of their business what's on my estimating sheet. i'm quoting
a price. take it or leave it.

Strife

Not me.
Lately I've been telling a lot of people that I'd rather stay home in the AC for free than sweat for free.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
A friend of mine would always bid very high on a job if:

He really didn't want it. Not a desirable job.

He knew the customer would pick him to death.

Said he usually didn't get these jobs, but he did get a few. Then he at least got well paid for his headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.