Secondary grounding of industrial equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Because of my limited knowledge of this issue, I am asking the professionals. In an industrial building, the 3 phase equipment is being fed via a ground buss and then a secondary ground rod is drilled through the fllor and connected to the equipment by a #10 conductor. The equipment is from China / Japan and I have not looked at any installation instruction yet. Is it common practice to drive additional grounding rods at equipment locations and does this violate any grounding issues due to multiple points of grounding being provided? The maintenance man says this is how we do it, and I am thinking this just does not seem correct to establish multiple grounding points without having them all bonded together. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

jumper

As long as the equipment is bonded by an EGC, you can add an additional rod/electrode.

1100203707_2.jpg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Because of my limited knowledge of this issue, I am asking the professionals. In an industrial building, the 3 phase equipment is being fed via a ground buss and then a secondary ground rod is drilled through the fllor and connected to the equipment by a #10 conductor. The equipment is from China / Japan and I have not looked at any installation instruction yet. Is it common practice to drive additional grounding rods at equipment locations and does this violate any grounding issues due to multiple points of grounding being provided? The maintenance man says this is how we do it, and I am thinking this just does not seem correct to establish multiple grounding points without having them all bonded together. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

This is indeed a common practice. Whether it serves any useful purpose is debatable.

As a practical matter, the local ground bar is bonded to the GES through the EGC, if that matters any.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
I knew I would get the proper guidance from this group. Thanks for the clarification and graphics with the applicable code section.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As long as it has an EGC then it won't end up like this very dangerous installation:

touch.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.