Grounding of a transformer secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Is there a distance requirement between the location of a transformer and the ground connection, I have a new transformer that needs to be installed about 50ft away from the grounding loop. Can that be done?

There is no distance requirement, but the grounding electrode should be the nearest of either a metal water pipe grounding electrode or structural metal grounding electrode. If neither of those 2 electrodes are not available, then any of the other electrodes listed in 250.52(A) can be used.

iwire

Staff member
Is there a distance requirement between the location of a transformer and the ground connection, I have a new transformer that needs to be installed about 50ft away from the grounding loop. Can that be done?

Only the AHJ will know if 50' is as near as practicable to, and in the same area.

250.30(A)(4) Grounding Electrode. The grounding electrode shall
be as near as practicable to, and preferably in the same area
as, the grounding electrode conductor connection to the
system.
The grounding electrode shall be the nearest of one
of the following:

(1) Metal water pipe grounding electrode as specified in
250.52(A)(1)

(2) Structural metal grounding electrode as specified in
250.52(A)(2)

Exception No. 1: Any of the other electrodes identified in
250.52(A) shall be used if the electrodes specified by
250.30(A)(4) are not available.

Exception No. 2 to (1) and (2): If a separately derived
system originates in listed equipment suitable for use as
service equipment, the grounding electrode used for the
service or feeder equipment shall be permitted as the
grounding electrode for the separately derived system.

iwire

Staff member
The transformer is mounted indoor and is 500kva, 4160-480 3 phase, can the bare ground cable be run in a cable tray over to the ground plate which is connected to the ground loop 50 ft away?, or does it have to be insulated?

I don't think you have the option to go to the ground loop if either steel or a water pipe is available. I am sure you could go to the ground loop as well but I think you will be required to hit the building steel or a water line first.

Status
Not open for further replies.