Instead of buying torque screwdriver, use a bit adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I already have a decent 3/8" drive torque wrench. Instead of buying a torque screwdriver, what about buying a bit adapter to turn the 3/8" square drive ratchet into a 1/4" hex head to use driver bits. I know it might not be as comfortable as a dedicated screwdriver, but it feels very close if I grab just the head of the ratchet and not the handle.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bit-Adapter--...PYFI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317061349&sr=8-2

If I end up buying a dedicated torque screwdriver will 10-50 inch lbs. serve all my needs if I have a 3/8" inch lb. torque wrench, as well as a 1/2" ft. lb. torque wrench.

Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Although this is a diy'er the question is not electrical in nature. I will allow it being that it won't hurt anyone. If someone has input feel free.

cadpoint

The only thing I can think of is to go read up on torque.

EC&M

Adding an extension off of any length of ratchet end does not change the desired torque but adding length
to the swing or torgue lever arm does.

Read down tho the First " * ", it will say about the same.

kwired

Electron manager
Can you get a 3/8 drive torque wrench that covers the low ranges that a torque screwdriver covers? If so then go for it.

Torque screwdrivers only go up to about 50 in-lbs for good reason, if you don't know why try tightening something at maximum setting and your wrist will tell you why.

Status
Not open for further replies.