Does the Code book say anything about using Unions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
As long as the union is approved for use with the raceway why should code see it any different than any other fitting for the raceway?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Some old timers will tell you not to use them. The NEC doesn't care as long as it's an approved/listed fitting.

stew

I have used 3 piece explosion proof types in the past. They are used extensively with propane tank pump motors. No reason they couldnt be used in a rigid run. they are listed fittings.

elohr46

Some old timers will tell you not to use them. The NEC doesn't care as long as it's an approved/listed fitting.

actually worked at a chemical plant that would not allow them, in some cases we would have to build the raceway on the ground and have 3 or 4 electricans lift it in place.

kwired

Electron manager
I have used 3 piece explosion proof types in the past. They are used extensively with propane tank pump motors. No reason they couldnt be used in a rigid run. they are listed fittings.

That works but they are at least 3-4 times the cost for small sizes like 1/2 inch to 1 inch. They are also used a lot at fuel dispensing units at the gas station, or at the pump where remote pumps are used.

renosteinke

I can't speak for others, but I would never consider a union as a substitute for a coupling.

I use unions in those situations where it is simply not possible to tighten the threads on the pipe into a threaded hub. For example, where two pipes enter the same side of the enclosure. Another example might be where a piece of equipment might need periodic removal; gas pumps are such an example.

This is why unions are most often found in 'hazardous location' piping; I don't think the compression connectors are approved for such use. It also looks a bit silly to add a compression fitting to a threaded hub.

The NEC does not discuss any particular fittings. One is free to use any listed components in any manner, any combination. One could make a three-mile wire run of nothing but handy boxes, running thread, locknuts, and bushings, should one wish to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.