main breaker in a load center

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaw0486

Has anyone ever replaced a main breaker in a load center. I have never dont this I feel the entire panel would have to be replaced?

kwired

Electron manager
Has anyone ever replaced a main breaker in a load center. I have never dont this I feel the entire panel would have to be replaced?

Why do you think the entire panel needs replaced? Sometimes it is obvious that it does, other times the main breaker has just failed. It is a mechanical man made device, it is destined to fail at some time.

Rick Christopherson

Many load centers are modular and are assembled from bits and pieces for the specific size. This is really obvious when you look at something like the Square-D QO panels, where you can see how the parts snap together around the bus bars, and the breakers or lugs bolt to the tops. The only difference between a standalone lug breaker and a panel breaker is the lugs are removed and it bolts directly to the buses. It may less obvious on residential panels simply due to volume and less need to be modular.

I actually have a new 200 amp main sitting down stairs waiting to be installed in my own GE panel because the original breaker started acting up last year (wouldn't reset after a manual open). The only reason it's still sitting on the shelf is because I'm not qualified to pull my meter and the idea scares the heck out of me. Ya up for a long road trip? I'd teach ya how to swap the breaker. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.