Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

cestone

My electrical design background has been mostly in health care and now I have a supportive living facility which is similar to a retirement facility. Sometimes the Owner requires a generator to keep a portion of the kitchen operational and have the HVAC equipment in the common areas also operational.

I'm aware of terminology issues between "emergency generator" or "standby generator" or "optional generator" which is all very confusing to me.

I keep hearing from contractors that since there isn't any electrical codes that requires a generator in a supportive living center, they can install the generator and electrical distribution systems any way they want and the NEC wouldn't apply since the code doesn't require a generator.

Are these contractors blowing smoke? I was always under the impression, if a generator is installed, then the installation shall comply with all applicable electrical codes (NEC, NFPA & IBC).

I thought these facilities should have a life safety branch and an equipment branch.

Am I way off base or am I correct?

Thank you so much for the help

iwire

Staff member
They are more or less correct.

If the generator is there optionally then there are few special rules.

Compare Article 700 vs 701 and 702.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Bobs suggestion to review those Articles.'

I'm unsure of the laws is your location, but locally, the decision as to a generator being "required" or "optional" is normally a decision between the Chief Building Code Official, the Fire Marshall and the architect.

I any case, the unit would have to be installed per the applicable Codes in your area, normally the NEC.

You might want to pay particular attention to 701.6 and 702.5.
(702.5 is often "missed" in this area as it is new to the '08 Code)

cestone

Generators

Thanks for the assistance

I've been told that the Generator would need to comply with NEC Article 702 as an optional standby system and wouldn't need to comply with NEC Article 700 which is for a legally required generator, would that be correct?

NEC 702.3 Application of Other Articles "Except as modified by this article, all applicable articles of this Code shall apply."

From what I'm being told, sounds like some have ignored 702.3.

Other applicable articles would be what??? Article 517?? - would a life safety branch be required in a supportive living facility primarily used for life safety and building evacuation or just put all necessary electrical equipment on a "general" "optional" standby branch panel?

According to NFPA 101 a supportive living facility would be classified as a "residential board and care occupancy". I've also been told that since the IBC doesn't reference NFPA 101, the life safety code wouldn't apply to commercial buildings.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Do what is right, which may not necessarily be covered by the minimum installation requirements for safety i.e. NEC.

You may want to consult with an engineer experienced in these matters. Also, the major gen suppliers will usually have competent technical guys that will be familiar with your area, and provide guidance.

Determine what you want to power, and develop a load list. The list will need to include starting (such as motor inrush) and running loads, as well as sequencing. Worst case being they all start at once. Certainly follow, as a minimum, any Code requirements that apply. Determine how you are going to split the loads from the normal source, and how you want the generator to come on. After that it's just material and labor to implement the design.

Someone is always going to have a cheaper way to do things, but it will be your name on the project, so just do what's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.