Pipe buried under siding (sorry for the picture size)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sii

I need to replace the conduit shown in this picture with a larger size. I took a picture when I was at the site but I forgot to go back for a closer look before I left. Does the cover simply snap off or is it buried under the trim pieces that go up the side?
347987703214.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That's vinyl siding??? It usually interlocks. I can't remember exactly how to release it but it isn't hard. I figured it out just messing with it.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
It looks like a trim piece was installed over the pipe first, then the j channel was installed over the edges of the trim. Siding was installed last. It looks like this will be an aggravating, but not impossible job.

iwire

Staff member
I assume the cover is made from 'brake metal' If I had to guess I would say that it went together like this

1) Pipe

2) Pipe cover

3) J-chanel

4) Siding

I think you will have to cut the cover off and have a new one installed.

sii

I assume the cover is made from 'brake metal' If I had to guess I would say that it went together like this

1) Pipe

2) Pipe cover

3) J-chanel

4) Siding

I think you will have to cut the cover off and have a new one installed.

The pipe was there first without question. I'm afraid you probably have the rest of it right too although it's vinyl like the rest of the siding.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Are you sure the trim piece isn't vinyl covered aluminum? Vinyl siding will come out from under the j moulding. then you can remove and reinstall the moulding with little trouble. How far up the wall does the pipe go? Just be glad it isn't all aluminum siding ;)

handy10

I removed just a cover yesterday. The cover may be aluminum or vinyl. Undoubtedly, it has flanges to the left and right that are nailed to the subsurface (old siding). The J-strip is nailed to the top of the flanges. If you can cut between the cover and the J-strip, you might be able to remove the cover and then caulk it back in place. If not, you might as cut, grab, cuss and remove the siding from the J-strip. I am planning to repair the wounds I made (there were two pipe and covers) by replacing the siding. The replacement is possible because new pipe was installed and is proud of the top layer of siding.

Status
Not open for further replies.