will the peanut gallery please weigh in here? need opinions on price....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
That should read don't estimate the man hours it MAY take. I don't want to sound presumptuous.

not at all.... the overwhelming consensus is that i was gonna eat this one huge,
and i suspected as much when i pulled a number out of thin air, and so this
was a tentative number based on a meeting and a talk about what is feasible.

i've spent 8 hours cutting in 8 can lights in a downstars room with floor joists 12" on center.
i KNOW how ugly it can get.....

it's been a few days and they aren't kicking my door down, so they are probably getting other
prices to see how it looks.... if they call back then we can get a real number on paper.

i'll probably be underbid badly and never hear from them again.... ;-)

titan1021

I have done quite a few complete rewires. I typically go by the sqft. anywhere from $8 to $11 per sqft depending on the type of construction. Drywall like you will be dealing with I would at least figure no less than $8 per sqft. I go higher on old lathe and plaster construction. By the time you figure in the AFCI's, GFCI's, and in California the Title 24 requirements such as dimmers, and occupancy sensors it adds up fast. You will also more than likely be adding additional receptacles throughout to meet the receptacle spacing requirements, not to mention the constantly rising cost of Romex.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have done quite a few complete rewires. I typically go by the sqft. anywhere from $8 to $11 per sqft depending on the type of construction. Drywall like you will be dealing with I would at least figure no less than $8 per sqft. I go higher on old lathe and plaster construction. By the time you figure in the AFCI's, GFCI's, and in California the Title 24 requirements such as dimmers, and occupancy sensors it adds up fast. You will also more than likely be adding additional receptacles throughout to meet the receptacle spacing requirements, not to mention the constantly rising cost of Romex.

thank you for taking the time to reply to this... your sq ft pricing is invaluable...
i'm going to simply print out some of these replies, and when we sit down to have
a discussion of what the homeowner want's to do, i'll bring these out and we
can have a discussion about it.

price is looking at about $14,000 based on your numbers.

and it looks like changing the service will be part of the deal.... AFCI's aren't
available for zinsco "prince of darkness" panels, are they?
so that's another item on the list.....

Status
Not open for further replies.