fire pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

There is a fire pump in a vault not attached to the building it serves. The feed for the fire pump comes off the power company?s CT can mounted on the building so they would be classified service entrance conductors. The feed run on the outside of the build for 50 feet then goes underground to the fire pump vault. For reasons not needed to explain, the AHJ requires a disconnect on the building before it goes to the vault. {Allowed in 695.4 (B)} It is intended to mount an un-fused disconnect to keep the size down as it would need to be sized for lock rotor amps otherwise. My question is; does the disconnect constitute a service disconnect. I say no because there is no overcurrent so the feed to the vault after the disconnect is still a service entrance conductor. Is there any problem with this install? I am not up with Fire Pumps.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
We got a couple of fire pumps ten years ago - diesel and electric, and they are very expensive to maintain and replace - new controllers, new diesel pump, new electric pump. Nearly all our water sytems are gravity and since gravity has not failed yet, its preferrable...

The fire pump controller is a service disconnect.

I don't like the disconnect the AHJ required.
And a fire pump in a vault, vaults flood, sump pumps fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.