Uses of NM cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

For 334.15(a) on an unfinished wall the studs are the interrior finish and you can't follow it much more closely than being in it. At least that is the general interpetation around here.

For 334.15(b) protection from physical damage is always a concern. In the case of unfinished garages running the cables through the studs close to the ceiling keeps them away from rakes and shovels. If NM cable is in a location subject to physical damage it would have to be protected.

Rick, I gotta problem with calling bare studs an interior finish.

RICK NAPIER

So if the studs aren't the interior finish all the exposed cables would need to be run on running boards. Do you think this will better protect the cables?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rick, I gotta problem with calling bare studs an interior finish.

I wouldn't, interior finish does not mean that the studs need to be covered. Similar to a basement where the interior finish is the concrete or block wall.

jumper

I wouldn't, interior finish does not mean that the studs need to be covered. Similar to a basement where the interior finish is the concrete or block wall.

Block walls and formed concrete walls are often a interior finish in resi basements and commercial construction, but bare studs.:happyno: If you bought a house with no drywall, would you call it finished?:?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Block walls and formed concrete walls are often a interior finish in resi basements and commercial construction, but bare studs.:happyno: If you bought a house with no drywall, would you call it finished?:?

Isn't this thread about bare studs in garages? :roll:

Have you ever been back to a house before drywall?I've seen carpenters use the spans for dead-men to make cuts,the convenient coat rack,tool rest, communication guys using them to route their pulls during installation .I know where talking about a garage here ,but people seem to think that if it's exposed it's safe to do what they want with it.I'ts funny 300.4(a)(1)says I'ts ok exposed "just put a stud guard on it".Maybe a proposal for a height requirement in the garage for spans between framing members.

guschash

I ran MC cable and now I wish I would have ran it higher. 330.12(1) says where subject to physical damage, I'm not sure that MC is any stronger than NM cable. I can see it now, someone puts a rake behind and it catches the MC cable when they go to take out and the cable unwinds. The higher up on the stubs would be better.

gus

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So if the studs aren't the interior finish all the exposed cables would need to be run on running boards. Do you think this will better protect the cables?
We are talking open studs and when the wire runs across the studs then yes I think it is more prone to damage then if they are running parallel with the joist (stapled to the joist). But this is not about my opinion but rather what the NEC states.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I gotta problem with calling bare studs an interior finish.

I wouldn't, interior finish does not mean that the studs need to be covered.

If you bought a house with no drywall, would you call it finished?
Cute turn of phrase, but two distinct, and different, uses of a similar spelling. "Finish" is a noun, a thing, and (Charlie, please correct me on the exact term, if I'm off) "finished" is a state of action.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can play semantics with words but I think it is clear what the cmp means by exposed work. Between studs is not the building finish. Along studs or even staples to the outside of a wall covering is allowed.

Some may argue that a detached garage is not a dwelling and thus nm cannot be run exposed. Fortunately the 2011 has clarified that in 334.10(1)

NEC 2011 said:
334.10(1) One and two family dwellings and their attached or detached garages and their storage buildings

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You can play semantics with words but I think it is clear what the cmp means by exposed work. Between studs is not the building finish. Along studs or even staples to the outside of a wall covering is allowed.

Some may argue that a detached garage is not a dwelling and thus nm cannot be run exposed. Fortunately the 2011 has clarified that in 334.10(1)

That would also allow UF cable exposed in sheds, outbuildings, etc. wouldn't it?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Cute turn of phrase, but two distinct, and different, uses of a similar spelling. "Finish" is a noun, a thing, and (Charlie, please correct me on the exact term, if I'm off) "finished" is a state of action.

IMO the building finish is whatever is present when the building is finished. It could be sheetrock, bare studs, paneling, concrete block, poured concrete, stucco, adobe, logs, you get the picture.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I don't know of a situation where nm can be used and UF couldn't. I feel safe to say if it is good for nm install then UF can also be installed there.

That's what I thought. The reason I asked was because of a thread a while back about wiring a shed/barn some type of out building, with UF and the reasons it was not allowed were do to the reasons NM was not allowed. I guess 2011 changed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.