MC Cable pulled through EMT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmguy

I am working on a commercial project in Irvine CA. We have been asked to take quite a few existing MC Cable branch circuits and pull them through a sleeve (EMT) so the ceiling looks "cleaner". Its an exposed area and they just dont like the look of MC Cable. I cant really find anything in code book that says we cant do it but it just does not seem right. I would much rather just demo it out and run conduit and pull wire but they are insisting on their method of installation. Can anybody provide me some information or feedback to strengthen my case of new conduit and wire instead of pulling MC Cable through EMT?

Thanks!!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am working on a commercial project in Irvine CA. We have been asked to take quite a few existing MC Cable branch circuits and pull them through a sleeve (EMT) so the ceiling looks "cleaner". Its an exposed area and they just dont like the look of MC Cable. I cant really find anything in code book that says we cant do it but it just does not seem right. I would much rather just demo it out and run conduit and pull wire but they are insisting on their method of installation. Can anybody provide me some information or feedback to strengthen my case of new conduit and wire instead of pulling MC Cable through EMT?

Thanks!!

Without looking to see if everything concerned is to code, I would say IMO, the time and labor involved to feed the MC into the conduit would out-weigh the cost of re-pulling the wire. You could possibly have to feed each section of conduit as you install it. A whole lot of trouble.:happysad:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What are you saying here Roger? I have an idea, but want to hear from you.
Hello Bill. My point is that 358 allows cable assemblies installed in EMT, and since 330 does not specifically prohibit it it is allowed. I'm not saying it is very practical though. :)

Roger

CFL

Thanks!!

What size emt and how many mc cables? I agree that pipe and wire makes more sense regardless.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hey Roger, I was thinking you were going to say the MC sheath was going to count as part of the conductor fill, and that I couldn't answer for sure. Well, unless it's calculated the same way NM would be.

CFL

WHAT ABOUT DISSIMILAR METALS????

Most everything mc touches is a dissimilar metal. Luckily, we don't run current through these "connections" so it's not important. An mc cable on a copper plumbing pipe, on the other hand, may be bad for the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.