Date stamped on cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a code referance that you cannot use a cable after a certain amount of time? Or is that a job specification item?
For instance, I have a 15KV MV cable brought to the jobsite, and the date is Sept 2008, the customer is questioning the date.
We will be doing testing on the cable before and after installation.
Any thoughts?

hurk27

Is there a code referance that you cannot use a cable after a certain amount of time? Or is that a job specification item?
For instance, I have a 15KV MV cable brought to the jobsite, and the date is Sept 2008, the customer is questioning the date.
Any thoughts?

I know of no such requirment in the NEC?

hurk27

I would just tell the customer that that is the last day you can chew on the cable, after that it might have to many germs:p

I think most of those dates are production runs, nothing more then a way to know which batch they were made from in case defective cable shows up they know what to recall.

zog

Any thoughts?

How it was stored is the key, but you will want to be sure to do a Tan Delta and/or a Partial Discharge test before energizing it. A smple Hipot test won't tell you much about moisture absorbtion.

Status
Not open for further replies.