Should I cut ties with customer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

Talk to a lawyer!

Your contract can be both verbal and written IE your Bid.

Is all I stated and was misquoted and my exact statement can be read in post #8

uwireme said:
Once you have a written contract you can ONLY change the contract in writing not verbaly

Is uwireme statement, on my comments!

My response to all this was based on the OP, they and owner agreed on a price, a bid was given, the orginal bid should have timed out after 30 days! There is no statement of how that "contract" was handled. The OP didn't have a written contract thus his problem, JMO.

I can screw up just like the next guy I have and will again, I know!

Sorry, but I can correct a mis-quote :)

Last edited:

renosteinke

It's time to park the legalese, and remember one of the rules of business: You NEVER win an argument with a customer!

Even when you walk away, all smug and proud, thinking "I sure told them!" .... well, they'll remember the bruised ego long after the job is forgotten, and will cheerfully tell one & all what a jerk you are. Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

You're not doing the job for them ... you're doing it for youself. Chose whatever course that will let you walk away with your head held high.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's time to park the legalese, and remember one of the rules of business: You NEVER win an argument with a customer!
This is only true if it is a good customer

Even when you walk away, all smug and proud, thinking "I sure told them!" .... well, they'll remember the bruised ego long after the job is forgotten, and will cheerfully tell one & all what a jerk you are. Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.
This is also a true statement until they start bouncing checks. Then, I don't have a problem accumulating enemies that bounce checks.

You're not doing the job for them ... you're doing it for youself. Chose whatever course that will let you walk away with your head held high.
No truer words can be spoken.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Have you done additional work toward trimout at all, or has the former carpenter done none of his other work? Can you notify her in writing that you will finish when she finds another carpenter? Run this by your attorney. I've seen a couple of guys get burned this way. Stuck between keeping your good name & getting paid for your work.

highvolts582

Brings back memories

Brings back memories

My single most worst customer I ever had was a hair stylist . her last text to me was the guy works for 25 an hour damn i would of had him do my recessed lights you got over paid if i would of kept calling i would of found him wish i would have. Rip off. never even got a free estimate from you and you advertise that. Phonie.

she felt on a free estimate I would be measuring and putting dots on the ceiling where she wants lights. I do not go to jobs to estimate recessed lights I ask a few questions and I give them the free estimate on the phone so she got her free estimate.

I got all my money and did a perfect job. I charged her 50 per hour. which is cheap for me. I promised her it would take 2 days 16 hours plus material which i did not mark up. I ended up old working 19 cans 4 inch IC rated installed from above cause there are no old work 4 inch cans that are ic rated. Plus it was cramped attic with tons of blown in insulation. By my self and got it inspected. It took 16 hours.
This lady did not show up till 11 cause she was super late which automatically put me into a third day. And a host of other issues with her way to long to mention. But my work was perfect and I had all my signatures. she tried to screw with the money after I got the hard part done on the first and second day. But I kept my composure and got all the money. In my 10 years in this business I have never seen
seen anything like her.

As much as you feel you want to run away from this just get it done with a smile hope for the best and do not let up on the money.
If they do not pay for perfection at least you have their dignity.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As much as you feel you want to run away from this just get it done with a smile hope for the best and do not let up on the money.
If they do not pay for perfection at least you have their dignity.
It's not their dignity I would be looking to preserve - it's mine.

growler

her last text to me was the guy works for 25 an hour,damn i would of had him do my recessed lights you got over paid if i would of kept calling i would of found him wish i would have. Rip off. never even got a free estimate from you and you advertise that. Phonie.

When people bring up the $25 an hour electrician just ask them to show you a licensed and insured contractor that works for $25 an hour.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
When people bring up the $25 an hour electrician just ask them to show you a licensed and insured contractor that works for $25 an hour.

i just congratulate them on their find, and wish them the best luck with their project.

i also mention craigslist, when i do give residential quotes.
i freely concede that there is someone on there who will do something like what i
will do, for less money, and perhaps they might wish to shop there before
having me do the work.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I did a few service calls for hair stylists. No major issues, fortunately. 1 woman called, frantic that her electrician hadn't showed up to check power to her water heater. She was supposed to open at noon that day, etc. Boss sent me, about an hour's drive. I fixed her issues in short order. She had hot water by 11:15, gladly wrote a check & gave me a $25 tip, thanking me for getting there so fast & saving her day.

Status
Not open for further replies.