NEC 250.148

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Wanted

Do multiple equipment grounding wires that are spliced in a 1900 box have to be connected to the box also. The box is used as a junction box for multiple circuits that are spliced within the box but are not terminated to a device or equipment in the box. Code 250.148 reads that Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).

This appears to me to state that we have two options to deal with the equipment grounding conductors 1) splice all of them within the box or 2) connect to the box via the methods detailed in 250.148 (A) - (E).

The use of the word or appears to me to allow the splicing of the equipment grounding conductors within the box without a connection to the box.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Do multiple equipment grounding wires that are spliced in a 1900 box have to be connected to the box also. The box is used as a junction box for multiple circuits that are spliced within the box but are not terminated to a device or equipment in the box. Code 250.148 reads that Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).

This appears to me to state that we have two options to deal with the equipment grounding conductors 1) splice all of them within the box or 2) connect to the box via the methods detailed in 250.148 (A) - (E).

The use of the word or appears to me to allow the splicing of the equipment grounding conductors within the box without a connection to the box.

Then take a look at 250.148(C) which requires the connection to the metal box. You just quoted the intro. You don't need to connect a ground to a plastic box so that is why the word 'or' is used in the intro. Specific requirements for metal boxes follow.

Now, if they are not terminated or spliced, (all conductors pass straight through), 250.148 does not apply.

Last edited:

Help Wanted

I read the reference to (A) through (E) as if I decide not to use option one (the splicing of conductors in a box) then I must terminate to the box with devices for the use in accordance with 250.148 (A) - (E). I read the use of (A) - (E) as detailing what devices are acceptable for use in the termination to a box if this option is used.

(C) descibes an approved means of terminating to a metal box but isn't saying you have to terminate to the box.

pete m.

(C) descibes an approved means of terminating to a metal box but isn't saying you have to terminate to the box.

(C) Metal Boxes. A connection shall be made between the one or more equipment grounding conductors and a metal box by means of a grounding screw that shall be used for no other purpose, equipment listed for grounding, or a listed grounding device.

I think the use of the word "SHALL" pretty much sums it up.

Pete

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I read the reference to (A) through (E) as if I decide not to use option one (the splicing of conductors in a box) then I must terminate to the box with devices for the use in accordance with 250.148 (A) - (E). I read the use of (A) - (E) as detailing what devices are acceptable for use in the termination to a box if this option is used.

I think you are reading it incorrectly.

Do you think if you use what you call option one that you don't have to comply with (D) and provide a connection from the EGCs to a device that requires one?

What you think is an option is not, it's a preface.

Status
Not open for further replies.