Commercial Rookie Needs Your Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafis

I have landed my first commercial job and I need your help confirming what I am thinking. Some questions I am concerned about:
Is this a 120/208Y three phase, four wire system?
Are you familiar with the manufacturer, what brand is it?
The panel is in good shape, it?s missing the cover only, where can I get just the cover?
Here is some information I got off the circuit breaker: Gould I-T-E Circuit breaker, type QP SWD

Attachments

• Panel 1.jpg
    Panel 1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 0

copper chopper

looks llike you need a ground bar also hard to tell from pic. you could try places that sell used electrical equipment however i would dout it...I personaly would put a new square D panel in and get rid of that garbage panel...

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Is this a 120/208Y three phase, four wire system?

1. How did you get through school with learning system voltages? This is a VERY COMMON voltage.
2. Do you know how to use a voltmeter?

I'm dead serious here, I'd expect these questions from a 1st period apprentice, not a guy running an EC business taking on projects.

Stick around this forum and keep asking questions, you'll pick up a lot.

cmreschke

1. How did you get through school with learning system voltages? This is a VERY COMMON voltage.
2. Do you know how to use a voltmeter?

I'm dead serious here, I'd expect these questions from a 1st period apprentice, not a guy running an EC business taking on projects.

Stick around this forum and keep asking questions, you'll pick up a lot.

nail him to the wall.

cmreschke

BTW who knows if the picture was taken in Europe, canada, or possibly Mexico. Don't they put their panels in sideways south of the border? That looks like finished product in Mexico ill bet its Spanish.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Let's not bash the poster of the OP. He did say that this is his first commercial job so he may be a little green since coming over from residential work.

ksmith846

That looks like a three pahse panel wired with a single phase feeder and they used the feeder conduit as the EG. Probably is 240V but it could be 208 as well.......tester would be easy or go to the meter/house electrical room and see what feeds it.

kwired

Electron manager
BTW who knows if the picture was taken in Europe, canada, or possibly Mexico. Don't they put their panels in sideways south of the border? That looks like finished product in Mexico ill bet its Spanish.

Or he could have turned his camera to take the picture.

That looks like a three pahse panel wired with a single phase feeder and they used the feeder conduit as the EG. Probably is 240V but it could be 208 as well.......tester would be easy or go to the meter/house electrical room and see what feeds it.

Looks like three phases to me, but is a little hard to tell much detail from that picture.

Not trying to bash the OP but he needs to learn more about this or stay away from it. It is very basic commercial type application with his questions so far.

marti smith

He is learning: he asked a question.

Hang in there nafis, every electrician/EC/engineer/you name it who's worth a dime started out as a beginner.

A meter is a good idea, as also is a transformer book, so that you can study up on the whys and hows of different voltages and why your meter will have the numbers on it it will. And give the search engine on the archives a go, as you'll research all sorts of goodies that way, without the shark tank effect.

Some days it's the code forum, some days it's the crotchety-grumpy-lashing-do-not-feed-the-animals forum. A love/hate relationship. SOmetimes the library and a mentor has it's appeal.

kwired

Electron manager
He is learning: he asked a question.

Hang in there nafis, every electrician/EC/engineer/you name it who's worth a dime started out as a beginner.

A meter is a good idea, as also is a transformer book, so that you can study up on the whys and hows of different voltages and why your meter will have the numbers on it it will. And give the search engine on the archives a go, as you'll research all sorts of goodies that way, without the shark tank effect.

Some days it's the code forum, some days it's the crotchety-grumpy-lashing-do-not-feed-the-animals forum. A love/hate relationship. SOmetimes the library and a mentor has it's appeal.

I have no problem with him learning. What I have a problem with is him apparently taking on something he doesn't have any experience at all with, and asking questions about something fairly common for the application. If he would have run into some European equipment and wasn't sure about it, that would be completely different story. Is he even licensed to do this job? If he wants to do this type of work maybe he needs to do it under someone who does do it and learn a little first.

To OP: I'm not trying to run you down, just presenting some harsh realities. The safety of lives and property do depend on you, and if you don't know what you are doing do you really want to take on such responsibility? Maybe this is work you would like to do, but you should not just jump into with no experience. Even with the years of experience I have, I have not worked every type of installation there is. I may have some knowledge of some of the places I have never worked, but some of them I would never consider taking on without the help of someone who has experience in those places.

cmreschke

Ok sorry to bash earlier, was a cranky moment.
It is clearly 3 phase 4 wire, probably 208/120 volt as it doesn't look like 480/277 volt. Definitely get a good reliable digital voltage meter. I would not try to find a new cover I would just replace the panel plus you might make more money for that as well.

nafis

I thank you all for your input. I truly believe there are NO beginner or stupid questions. The system is 3 ph, 208 Y / 120V 4 wire. I know it was not easy to tell from the picture what the system is. The service was not live, the building was vacant. It has been rented recently. BTW, the panel is made by Gloud I-T-E Inc., not in business any more - it sold to ABB.

kwired

Electron manager
I thank you all for your input. I truly believe there are NO beginner or stupid questions. The system is 3 ph, 208 Y / 120V 4 wire. I know it was not easy to tell from the picture what the system is. The service was not live, the building was vacant. It has been rented recently. BTW, the panel is made by Gloud I-T-E Inc., not in business any more - it sold to ABB.

I agree with you about there being no beginner or stupid questions.

What I questioned was whether or not you should take on this job if you have those kind of questions.

It is a little like having a dermatologist perform open heart surgery. Sure they may have some knowledge of what is going on but it is something they are not familiar with and should not just take it on alone.

Most first year apprentices should be able to answer your questions unless they never have been exposed to commercial jobs. This indicates to me that maybe you have not been either.

Again I'm not trying to put you down, just concerned for your safety as well as others.

I can maybe understand the questioning of who made the panel, whether or not you can find a cover, but asking us if it is 120/208 three phase from just looking at that photo? Maybe you should get out a meter. If it is not energized then go to where it is fed from or to the serving utility if necessary. Just looking at photo it could be 120/208, it could be 120/240 with wild leg, it could possibly be corner grounded 240 volt delta. It could even be 277/480 misused on the ITE QP panel. You can't assume it was installed properly, you need to find out for yourself what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.