Utility bed vs tool boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

I doubt that there will ever be a 'perfect' work truck. I'll tell my story here, and let others unravel the various loose threads that will be exposed ...

I started with a small puck-up truck, one with a 7-1/2-ft. bed. Sure, it was handy ... but jokers would add their trash to the open bed, and every night I had to get anything of value out of it. Also, regular driving resulted in stuff sliding all over the place.

I lucked out, and was given a set of side boxes and a crossover that fit perfectly. Those were great! Everything was kept accessible, though there was a lot of wasted space in the middle of the crossover.

The middle of the bed was left open to the elements, which proved to be a problem. So, I made a simple cover, using plywood and slotted angles. Later, I added a hinge and a flip-up partition, which let me use the rearmost part of the bed as a 'general purpose' trunk.

This left the issue of carrying ladders unresolved. There's a very real need for a ladder rack, to carry both ladders and conduit. The problem is that the toolboxes can make mounting a rack a bit of a challenge.

I switched from this (seriously overloaded) truck to a 1-ton utility body "with superstructure." That is, there was a 'cabin' on the back with tool bins in the sides. I rigged up a way to tie ladders to the top. (Similar to "Big Red," posted elsewhere). It was a very real improvement over the pick-up truck. Most important, the customers were favorably impressed in that I now had a "real" work truck.

A lesson I am still learning: Appearances matter more than we care to admit.

Major problems with the 'superstructure' included:
1) Since the truck had 4wd, the ladders and pipe carrier were mounted higher than I could reach without some climbing;
2) The assembly was tall enough that the overhangs of some buildings and parking garages was an issue;
3) Even with mirrors, I had massive blind spots to the rear; and,
4) It was still a PITA to climb around in the bed.

One bit of advice regarding utility bodies: get the ones that have a bin that opens from the top. This shallow tray is a very good place for hand tools and parts.

kwired

Electron manager
There is no one rig that works for everyone. You have to know what kind of activity you do the most and buy/design a support vehicle accordingly. If you have larger company and several employees you may even have more than one vehicle with each one set up for different purposes.

As for myself, a van has advantages that many have pointed out, but many places I work having a four wheel drive truck is a necessity.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
There is no one rig that works for everyone. You have to know what kind of activity you do the most and buy/design a support vehicle accordingly. If you have larger company and several employees you may even have more than one vehicle with each one set up for different purposes.

As for myself, a van has advantages that many have pointed out, but many places I work having a four wheel drive truck is a necessity.

there are four wheel drive vans.....
and if that isn't enough......
lock the hubs in, dude... let's go....

http://www.mattracks.com/html/videos.htm

mud001.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.