Aluminum to Copper Connection wire nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
I know this is a simple question for you guys, but I haven't messed with connecting aluminum to copper wiring and aluminum to copper fixture wiring in quite some time so I'm not sure what to use now or what's available.

1) Which kind of wire nuts do I use to splice residential aluminum wiring to copper fixture wiring or regular 14awg copper wiring? I remember I used to use purple ones but they were huge.

2) where's the best place to get them and do they sell them the size of the tan wire nuts?

3) do you guys recommend using the fixture wire nuts at all?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Twister Al/Cu Wire Connector. AL/CU wire nut with corrosion-resistant compound. Shell rated for 105? C, Ideal # 30-065, 30-765, 30-165, 30-265, 30-365.
Just installed 29 last week.

EDIT:
I have found most of the AL wire was 80's around here. boxes are big enough for them.
You could replace the box with a smart box if you are concerned about size.

Last edited:

renosteinke

The wire nuts that come with the fixture are almost sure to be for copper wire only.

Three options come to mind:

1) Your supply house can get T&B "marettes" that are Canadian listed for the use. Why T&B does noy actively market them here is known only to them .... but I'll accept a CSA stamp;

2) The Ideal purple wire nuts; and,

3) King Connectors sells their "Alumnicons," which look like little terminal strips.

Be careful not to break the aluminum wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.