Nursing home Healthcare wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaffen99

I work in a retirement community that was built about 25 years ago. The healthcare wing (which I would consider to be medical) is wired in romex. Does anyone see a problem with this?

kwired

Electron manager
What kind of patient care activities happen in this area?

Is this basically a hospital wing versus living areas with limited care like nursing home typically is.

Gaffen99

There are some bed ridden patients that are cared for by nursing staff 24/7 and doctors during the day when needed. Patient care is patient care, no?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
IMO, if no equipment is plugged into a receptacle and then touches a person for which the care you describe is given then this would not be a 517 install.

kwired

Electron manager
If the extent of care is administering medication, periodic checkups, like temperature, heart rate, blood pressure, or other non invasive procedures, it likely is not art 517 health care. That kind of activity happens in regular rooms in a nursing home all the time. If they have monitoring equipment, intravenous equipment, and other similar devices in use - especially if the patient is moved to a special room equipped to do this kind of care then you may very well have a art 517 health care area. Most nursing homes I have been in only have a limited number of rooms like this and they usually are for temporary care, until a patient can be transfered to a hospital that provides a higher level of patient care. In that case that room probably is considered a 517 patient care area.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would agree with Chris that it does not comply. PATIENT CARE AREA: Any portion of a health care facility wherein patients are intended to be examined or treated.

I would check with the local AHJ and see what they think.

RICK NAPIER

I am assuming from your address this facility is in NJ. In NJ residential health care facilities require licensing and yearly inspection and are licensed by the Department of Health and Human Services. Find out if it licensed through that department and if it is then it falls under article 517.

Status
Not open for further replies.