ELECTRIC HEAT AND RECPT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTHUDEE

CAN YOU RUN 14/3 FROM A PANEL USING A 2P-15 AMP BREAKER TO A 240 LINE VOLTAGE STAT TO OPERATE A 750 WATT 3 FT PIECE OF 240 VOLT BASEBOARD HEAT; THEN RUN 14/2 FROM THE STAT WALL BOX, USING THE NEUTRAL AND EITHER LINE SIDE WIRE TO POWER 2 HALL WAY RECPTS.? iF NOT, WHERE SPECIFICALLY IN THE CODE DOES IT SAY THIS IS NOT PERMISSIBLE?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
CAN YOU RUN 14/3 FROM A PANEL USING A 2P-15 AMP BREAKER TO A 240 LINE VOLTAGE STAT TO OPERATE A 750 WATT 3 FT PIECE OF 240 VOLT BASEBOARD HEAT; THEN RUN 14/2 FROM THE STAT WALL BOX, USING THE NEUTRAL AND EITHER LINE SIDE WIRE TO POWER 2 HALL WAY RECPTS.? iF NOT, WHERE SPECIFICALLY IN THE CODE DOES IT SAY THIS IS NOT PERMISSIBLE?

I say it is permissible except that hall receptacles are required to be AFCI protected.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think you can do this. You have a Multiwire Branch Circuit when you connect the two receptacles one from each line to neutral. 210.4 says Multiwire Branch Circuits shall supply on line-to-neutral loads. The baseboard heat is not a line to neutral load, so I'd say violation of 210.4.

jumper

I don't think you can do this. You have a Multiwire Branch Circuit when you connect the two receptacles one from each line to neutral. 210.4 says Multiwire Branch Circuits shall supply on line-to-neutral loads. The baseboard heat is not a line to neutral load, so I'd say violation of 210.4.

What about the exception?

Exception No. 2: Where all ungrounded conductors of the
multiwire branch circuit are opened simultaneously by the
branch-circuit overcurrent device.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You will need a 2 pole AFCI breaker. They are pricey if they make them for that panel.
Is this existing or new. if new I would look for another way to do the job.

also Welcome to the forum!

DTHUDEE

Thank you for the answers. It was actually an install I came across. I was there to trouble shoot 2 hall recpts. and a hall light not working. It surprised the heck out of me when I turned on the 2 pole heat breaker and everything worked. I then spent some of my own time to find out what the hell was going on, and that is what I found.

Status
Not open for further replies.