Dishwasher disconnect options

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalleron

Since I only do this part time, yet another little detail I'm not sure of.

How do most of you install the disconnect for a hard wired dishwasher in a residence?

On one job I installed a light switch in a nail up box on the wall under the sink. It turned out to be in just the right place so that the sink sprayer hose can turn the switch off and on at times when it is extended and pushed back down. I installed a weatherproof switch cover over the switch to fix that problem.

What?s the best location and method for the disconnect?

Thanks,

shockin

It seems to me that there is an exception that if the appliance has an on/off button a disconnect isn't required.

Also, it may be that making the breaker lockable relieves you of this requirement.

I know we have hard wried hundreds if not thousands of them and never used a disc. Not saying that make it right, just that there is probably an exception.

raider1

Staff member
It seems to me that there is an exception that if the appliance has an on/off button a disconnect isn't required.

422.34 permits a unit switch that disconnects all ungrounded conductors and is marked with an on/off to qualify as the required disconnecting means. Most dishwashers that I have seen do not have a unit switch that complies with this section.

Also, it may be that making the breaker lockable relieves you of this requirement.

A dishwasher is a motor driven appliance and if the motor is 1/8 HP or greater then you can't just use a breaker lock. This was clarified in the 2011 NEC will the changes to 422.31.

I know we have hard wried hundreds if not thousands of them and never used a disc. Not saying that make it right, just that there is probably an exception.

The requirement for a disconnecting means within sight of a dishwasher is a very commonly missed.

Chris

renosteinke

Personally, that's why I like cord & plug connections.

This board has had some lively discussions regarding cords and dishwashers, and -at least in theory- you might find one that is only allowed to be hard-wired. To me, though, there's nothing more 'idiot proof' for LOTO than pulling the plug and being able to sit on it. I also like the idea that the dishwasher delivery guy is kept from opening up any electrical boxes.

iwire

Staff member
A dishwasher is a motor driven appliance and if the motor is 1/8 HP or greater then you can't just use a breaker lock. This was clarified in the 2011 NEC will the changes to 422.31.

Interesting, I went round and round about this with Pierre and he would never agree a DW is a motor driven appliance even after acknowledging the motor was a necessary part of the appliance.

Vindication ......... 3 years late. :)

iwire

Staff member
This board has had some lively discussions regarding cords and dishwashers, and -at least in theory- you might find one that is only allowed to be hard-wired.

Not only must it be listed for cord and plug connection you can only use the model number cord called out for in the instructions, you cannot use a generic appliance cord nor can you make your own.

Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
ccc

are you sure a dishwasher motor is greater then 1/8 HP?

The requirement for a disconnecting means within sight of a dishwasher is a very commonly missed.

always

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm curious. How is the decision made as to an appliance being "motor driven" or not. A commercial mixer I can understand, but many "appliances" (stoves, dishwashers, refrigerators) etc. have motors.

Is the listing different between a motor driven and non-motor driven, or is it an AHJ thing ?

(In this area, cord and plug is encouraged, breaker lock is accepted --up until now :) )

iwire

Staff member
I'm curious. How is the decision made as to an appliance being "motor driven" or not. A commercial mixer I can understand, but many "appliances" (stoves, dishwashers, refrigerators) etc. have motors

I have always assumed if it has a motor it is a motor driven appliance, a can opener for instance.

A simple toaster no, a small toaster / convection oven yes, but also likely to be under 1/8 HP so does it matter?

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Bob, if the appliance is equipped with a motor that is 1/8 HP or greater then IMHO it is a motor driven appliance. If the appliance has a motor rated less than 1/8 HP it is still a motor driven appliance but 422.31(A) would apply.

Chris

renosteinke

Shoot the messenger? Nahh .. I wouldn't do that.

Sure, the earlier threads brought up all the 'ifs ands or buts;' still the concept of simply plugging in the dishwasher is acceptable. That's why I mentioned the older threads.

This is in contrast to some, who took the view that 'needing service' didn't apply often enough to dishwashers, and that the use of any type of cord was a forbidden 'in the place of permanent wiring.'

Oddly enough, I don't think I have ever hooked up a dishwasher- though I've removed a few. I've put in a few receptacles under the sink that were intended to power a dishwasher in the neighboring compartment, but I've been long gone when the appliance arrives. I just haven't done much new residential; my property maintenance customers have properties that usually pre-date ground wires; you can be confident that these slumlords aren't putting in dishwashers. Heck, some of them consider a microwave on a TV tray next to the bathroom makes a 'kitchen.' But I wander.

dhalleron

2 pages of comments and someone forgot to tell me how they set the disconnect if is it hard wired. :)

Like I said I just use a switch under the sink. Sometimes I cut in the wall and other times I mount a surface mount box under the sink. Just looking of for some decent input of where/how others do it. This one time I ran into the sprayer hose turning off the switch because of where I mounted it.

raider1

Staff member
2 pages of comments and someone forgot to tell me how they set the disconnect if is it hard wired. :)

Like I said I just use a switch under the sink. Sometimes I cut in the wall and other times I mount a surface mount box under the sink. Just looking of for some decent input of where/how others do it. This one time I ran into the sprayer hose turning off the switch because of where I mounted it.

I always cord and plug connect the dishwasher, but if I hardwired it I would put a switch under the sink next to the dishwasher.:)

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Bob, if the appliance is equipped with a motor that is 1/8 HP or greater then IMHO it is a motor driven appliance. If the appliance has a motor rated less than 1/8 HP it is still a motor driven appliance but 422.31(A) would apply.

Chris

I'll have to disagree with you and Bob. The presence of a motor does not automatically make an appliance a motor driven appliance. I've seen gas hot water heater with small blower motors for the venting. I wouldn't say that the heater is motor driven.

raider1

Staff member
I'll have to disagree with you and Bob. The presence of a motor does not automatically make an appliance a motor driven appliance. I've seen gas hot water heater with small blower motors for the venting. I wouldn't say that the heater is motor driven.

I would bet that the blower motor is not over 1/8 HP so 422.31(A) would apply.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.