Egress lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

At the entrance of an Emergency Room, I've got MH HID lighting fixtures that are on the LS branch but that don't have quartz restrike. I'd like to just add an LED fixture but the architect doesn't want to put anything at the entrance to his architectrual contribution to society. Now, there is a great big Fluorescent Sign above the door which is of course on LS power, that reads "EMERGENCY". It is very bright but the letters are red all light from this sign comes through the letters. My question is, if I can get the 5fc out of this, can I use it to achieve the 5fc I need to achieve.

Mike

hmspe

Occupation
PE
So far as I know the requirement is strictly stated in foot candles so any source should be OK. On the other hand, this is the type of creativity that often leads to "discussions" with inspectors.

Fluorescent implies that the Emergency sign is a rectangular, lensed sign. Any chance you could get the sign manufacturer to build a few windows in the bottom frame that you could mount some small (track-type) LED heads behind? Or maybe a small compartment that could hold a couple of Elliptipar F301 fixtures?

cadpoint

I'd like to just add an LED fixture but the architect doesn't want to put anything at the entrance to his architectrual contribution to society.

LOL!!!

I call it their Architectrual Statement! If you LF isn't met then you need to CYA and hand hold the Arch into Ceiling Tile Lighting off of The LS, But Frankly I think you answered your own Question! Play on...

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
i think there is a code requirement that says "emergency equipment shall be listed." I can't remember if it has to be listed as "emergency equipment", or if it just has to be listed.

Why is the sign on the LS branch? I would consider that a violation.

If the sign is considered critical for people to be able to find the emeregency entrance, that I would say the equipment branch, or maybe even the critical branch would be more approporate.

Why not just add a quartz restrike to the MH fixtures? I think they also make a battery for MH that maintains the arc long enough for a generator to start. That might work too.

Steve

hmspe

Occupation
PE
The listing requirement is only for transfer switches (2008 NEC). If luminaires had to be listed we would not be able to add an emergency ballast to a fluorescent troffer or downlight, and we would not be able to run normal mode lighting on a generator for emergency use.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The listing requirement is only for transfer switches (2008 NEC). If luminaires had to be listed we would not be able to add an emergency ballast to a fluorescent troffer or downlight, and we would not be able to run normal mode lighting on a generator for emergency use.

I was thinking of the exact same thing (emergency ballast on a regular light) when I posted, and I knew there had to be some way around that (but I didn't bother looking it up).

I think there is probably a section that requires "unit equipment" to be listed since it has the whole emergency system integral in the fixture. But that wouldn't apply here, of course.

I still don't think a sign (other than an exit sign) should be on the life safety branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.