bonding hot,cold water with gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete m.

In over twenty plus years in several jurisdictions not one inspector has ever taken the stand that the bond needs to be within 5' of where the water line enters the building. I don't see potable water in a house as two systems either.

You can attach one end of the bonding jumper to any place on the metallic water piping but the other end has to attach to one of the options in 250.104(A).

And one of the favorite sayings I hear is: "I've been doing it this way for thirty years and I've never heard that!" :happyyes:

Pete

dana1028

In over twenty plus years in several jurisdictions not one inspector has ever taken the stand that the bond needs to be within 5' of where the water line enters the building. I don't see potable water in a house as two systems either.

You don't have to bond the interior metal water piping within 5' of entering the building IF - the exterior underground metal water piping is continuous to the interior piping system [pretty much the norm] and has been grounded/bonded per the requirements of 250.53.

Perhaps what is being confusing is: IF you do ground the water piping system inside the building...within the 5' mark....then you don't have to do any further bonding of the interior metal water piping system provided said system is continuous.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You don't have to bond the interior metal water piping within 5' of entering the building IF - the exterior underground metal water piping is continuous to the interior piping system [pretty much the norm] and has been grounded/bonded per the requirements of 250.53.

Perhaps what is being confusing is: IF you do ground the water piping system inside the building...within the 5' mark....then you don't have to do any further bonding of the interior metal water piping system provided said system is continuous.
I agree.

However, some believe a metal water piping system is not continuous because water heaters (some, all?) use a non-conductive, non-metallic transition to the hot water piping. To ground the hot water piping, many find it convenient to install a short bonding jumper between cold and hot water piping at the water heater, and if gas-fired, continue the jumper to the metal gas piping. Many believe this bonding practice to always be compliant. In many, if not most cases, it is not.

dana1028

I agree.

However, some believe a metal water piping system is not continuous because water heaters (some, all?) use a non-conductive, non-metallic transition to the hot water piping. To ground the hot water piping, many find it convenient to install a short bonding jumper between cold and hot water piping at the water heater, and if gas-fired, continue the jumper to the metal gas piping. Many believe this bonding practice to always be compliant. In many, if not most cases, it is not.

Smart - I completely agree with you......reckon my only beef is their 'belief' is so erroneous. Whether there is a non-conductive transition at the water heater or not is irrelevant, the shower/tub valve is a solid cast piece of brass/bronze that establishes a mechanical connection between hot & cold water piping [thus the 'bond' is created]. Unless a dwelling has no indoor bathing facilities the 'bond' between hot & cold is established through the valve .... I sometimes wonder if inspectors ever take a look at the shower valve at rough to realize both systems are mechanically 'bonded' together. 250.104 - shower valve.jpg

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Don't forget the copper straps that most plumbers run their hot and cold through that are soldered together at the fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.