So called WP boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

In general I'm very unfond of the latest changes in our code.
But I noticed something that really bothers me.
WP boxes.
I'm sorry, but they're a joke.
The covers are a one time deal. Try to take off a cover from a box that's been sitting for 2 years. Guess what happens? Screw breaks, end result? tape the cover.
Then I'm not sure if a 1900 box will be any worse than these "WP" boxes. At least the 1900 boxes will drain. I've opened so many of them where you can see how high the water was into the box.
I know we don't have a readily solution to replace these right now(well, the perma posts are no more unsightly that these boxes), but they're a joke.
I don't have a problem with them on walls, but in landscape situation they're a joke.

iwire

Staff member
There are better boxes out there, you just have to ask and pay for them.

For the most part supply houses are going to stock the cheapest items of each type.

rt66electric

Make drain holes

Make drain holes

Most times water in bell boxes occur due to condesation, rather than rain leaking in. Boxes mounted on the exterior of hollow masonary walls attract water. I usually leave the bottom hole plug loose, so that water will leak out. Depending on location I will drill a drain hole. NEMA 3R Rain-tite boxes have lots of holes on the bottom.:roll:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I always notch the cover gasket in the center near the bottom screw on FS boxes which allows the water to drain.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I try and use the pvc boxes whenever possible. We'll see how they hold up since they haven't passed the time test.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Drain holes are a must. I usually put in two. 1/8 or smaller. The plastic "while in use covers" are good until the inspector is gone if you are lucky. Use the metal ones.

I agree with all of this. Throw a little deox on the screws if you're worried about them siezing.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with all of this. Throw a little deox on the screws if you're worried about them siezing.

If you put in drain holes siezing is usually not much of a problem. The top mounting screw never siezes up because it is never submerged in water.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Somewhere, years ago, I saw a screen type thing that you pushed into a hole in the bottom of a box the let water out and kept creatures from getting inside.

I agree, a drain is far more important than any attempt to keep water out of the box. On more than one occasion I have opened up a WP box that was dry on the outside, but had a significant amount of water on the inside.

And the screw breaking off thing is a real PITA. There is this stuff called Deep Creep that works great for getting screws out of Al boxes. It's expensive and you get it at car stores. Sea Foam makes it. It's pretty gnarly stuff. But one successful use will pay for the entire can.

Strife

So my question is(was). Aren't we better off with 1900 boxes?
After seeing (literally) thousands FAILED so called WP boxes, I'm not sure which one is worse.

kwired

Electron manager
I feel the same way about metallic flex outside. I have never ever had to drain water out of a piece of flex but you can just about count on some being in a piece of sealtite.

But you are supposed to install raceways so they are arranged to drain. -- I know, it is easier said than done sometimes.

Strife

Speaking of which any logical reason why we can't use flex outside?
Sure there would have to be some restrictions, obviously one can not install the flex coming on the top of a box, or even sideways, but other than that the wires would be protected and they won't be any wetter than sitting in an underground conduit.

I feel the same way about metallic flex outside. I have never ever had to drain water out of a piece of flex but you can just about count on some being in a piece of sealtite.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Sure there would have to be some restrictions, obviously one can not install the flex coming on the top of a box, or even sideways, but other than that the wires would be protected and they won't be any wetter than sitting in an underground conduit.

I suspect it is because I would have boughten 100s of feet less sealite and more metallic flex.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
With prices nowadays I think flex is more expensive the the NM LT?
Come one manufacturers, you made AFCI fly, make this one fly?

I think Tom is talking about metallic liquidtite flex, what we call sealtite. We call NM flex, pvc flex or I've even heard carflex.

There's too much trade slang for this stuff.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
So my question is(was). Aren't we better off with 1900 boxes?
After seeing (literally) thousands FAILED so called WP boxes, I'm not sure which one is worse.

Although I haven't seen thousands of failed WP boxes, I am doing an experiment. Feeding the triplex to my garage I enclosed the splices on the house side in a plain old four square box. Any water that gets in will just drain out the bottom. The splices are just wire nuts arranged so any water that gets in just runs right out.

We get lot's of rain here but since the box is under the eaves, I make sure to blast it with a pressure washer once or twice a year.

So far, there has been no indication of any problems, and the box and connectors spend most of their time dry.

Now, go ahead and do the same thing (pressure wash) with a bell box with no drain, or a drain hole that won't be effective long. I have seen 1/8 inch holes plug up with gunk and not drain the box.

kwired

Electron manager

That was allowed until more recently. I don't remember which year the NEC stopped permitting that. Maybe 2005.

Flex had to enter bottom of both enclosures it was connected to.

Leave a "trap" in LT and it will rust out, or in freezing climates both LT and NMLT will have water trapped in them freeze and split the raceway open.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
That was allowed until more recently. I don't remember which year the NEC stopped permitting that. Maybe 2005.

Flex had to enter bottom of both enclosures it was connected to.

Leave a "trap" in LT and it will rust out, or in freezing climates both LT and NMLT will have water trapped in them freeze and split the raceway open.

2005 NEC does not prohibit FMC outdoors. It can be run in wet locations if the conductors are rated for the installation and the installation is such that liquid is not likely to enter the raceways.

Status
Not open for further replies.