Happy Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Just want to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Hope that if you travel that you all stay safe. And that you all have nice weather for this great four day weekend.

I will be hosting the family on Thursday and bowling in a tournament on Friday and then my best guess is the rest of the weekend will be honey do's.:happyyes:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Just want to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Hope that if you travel that you all stay safe. And that you all have nice weather for this great four day weekend.

I will be hosting the family on Thursday and bowling in a tournament on Friday and then my best guess is the rest of the weekend will be honey do's.:happyyes:

same here to ya all..... jill took the week off, i thought it was a good idea as well...
tomorrow is a quiet day... we're having an un hosting year, so we are left
to our own devices by choice..... we are off to a nice place to eat... it's a play day.

jill's favorite activity is cooking, so this week is a cookfest.. last night she made
duck au l'orange.... tonight is chicken marbella, with chocolate mousse for dessert.

there's a lot to be grateful for. i should take tomorrow off, and just eat peanut butter
and jelly sandwiches for a change of pace.

hope ya all are well.... be careful.. tonight starts the beginning of the silly season....

GUNNING

Pilgrims were party animals.

Pilgrims were party animals.

[h=3]Gluttony one of the seven deadly sins.[/h]Main article: Gluttony

"Excess"
(Albert Anker, 1896)​

Derived from the Latin gluttire, meaning to gulp down or swallow, gluttony (Latin, gula) is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste. In the Christian religions, it is considered a sin because of the excessive desire for food or its withholding from the needy.[13]
Depending on the culture, it can be seen as either a vice or a sign of status. Where food is relatively scarce, being able to eat well might be something to take pride in. But in an area where food is routinely plentiful, it may be considered a sign of self-control to resist the temptation to over-indulge.
Medieval church leaders (e.g., Thomas Aquinas) took a more expansive view of gluttony,[13] arguing that it could also include an obsessive anticipation of meals, and the constant eating of delicacies and excessively costly foods.[14] Aquinas went so far as to prepare a list of six ways to commit gluttony, including:
  • Praepropere - eating too soon.
  • Laute - eating too expensively.
  • Nimis - eating too much.
  • Ardenter - eating too eagerly (burningly).
  • Studiose - eating too daintily (keenly).
  • Forente - eating wildly (boringly).
happy turkey day!:angel:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

We're having my son's first with his mother's parents tomorrow, then swing by my folks' in the afternoon. My wife's sister just had her first baby and there's a couple more in the family coming in short order; so there's a lot to be thankful for.

Work is steady as are the checks, which is more than some are seeing this season.

And if T-day doesn't work out the way you hoped, then there's always evacuation day to look forward to! :D

iwire

Staff member
As usual we are hosting a large group for thanksgiving, this is the second year we have rented a church hall for it. We have about 40 total this year. I have cooked three 24 pound turkeys just for the sandwiches we send everyone home with. My wife sets up arts and crafts stuff for the kids (there are a ton of them:)) and everyone brings something for the dinner itself.

It is a great time each year. :)

But this year things are not going so well, my 11 year old girl was checked in to a hospital on Monday and it will be at least next Monday before she is out. Luckily it is not immediately life threatening but it does have large implications for her future happiness. It is also just crushing my wife with worry and a feeling like she somehow failed our daughter, which she most certainly did not.

That said, one bright side is how much our large family and our friends are there to help and support us. When we told them we going to have a hard time to find the time to host the gathering they all stepped up and gave the help we needed. For that I can truly be thankful.

Besoeker

But this year things are not going so well, my 11 year old girl was checked in to a hospital on Monday and it will be at least next Monday before she is out. Luckily it is not immediately life threatening but it does have large implications for her future happiness. It is also just crushing my wife with worry and a feeling like she somehow failed our daughter, which she most certainly did not.

I'm very sorry to hear that.
Very hard to take, I know from personal experience.
I hope it goes well for her.

Besoeker

Happy thanksgiving to all.
It isn't done here in the UK. We will have a small celebration at the weekend - a birthday for me.
My big sister is coming for that.
Two days of her is as much as I can take though I love her dearly.
If any of you have seen that British comedy series "Keeping Up Appearances" she is like THAT woman in appearance and manner.
Mrs Bucket but pronounced Boo-kay of course.

arnettda

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I have lots to be thankful for, One is this forum and all the people who take the time to respond to my and others post. You help us learn and do the best job possible. Thank you to all. May everyone have a safe and happy holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.