Master Electrician Duties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietz001

How much design can/should a Master Electrician actually do? At what point should an installation require a Engineer? This comes up all the time on smaller installations.

raider1

Staff member
You will find that the NEC does not even mention the word "Electrician" so it is outside the scope of the NEC.

There is most likely state or local guidelines as to how much design a master electrician can do.

Some states such as Utah require that most commercial or industrial projects be designed by a licensed design professional.

Chris

bphgravity

Here in Florida, the term "master" only refers to a certificate of competency & does not constitute a "license" to do work. To design or contract work in Florida, you must have a license issued by the DBPR - ECLB.

ALL electrical work must be designed by a FS 471 licensed engineer unless the scope of work meets this provision:

FS 471.003(2)(h) Any electrical contractor whose practice includes the design and fabrication of electrica which she or he installs by virtue of a license issued under chapter 489, under part I of chapter 553, or under any special act or ordinance when working on any construction project which:
1. Requires an electrical system with a value of $125,000 or less; and
2.a. Requires an aggregate service capacity of 600 amperes (240 volts) or less on a residential electrical system or 800 amperes (240 volts) or less on a commercial or industrial electrical system;

Please keep in mind that construction documents designed by a licensed contractor under thie above provision & submitted to the building department for permtting is still required to have all the information that would be included on an engineered set of plans. A list of the minimum design criteria can be found in F.A.C. 61G15-33.

Stevareno

You know Zog, I have worked with a few engineers that I wish had done at least some installation work.;):D

Chris

If I were king, all electrical engineers would be required to have at least 5 years of electrical construction experience before they could get a license. :p

maghazadeh

In some states Master Electrician lic. is the same as Electrical Contractor's lic.

Originally posted by Nietz001
Master Electrician Duties
How much design can/should a Master Electrician actually do? At what point should an installation require a Engineer? This comes up all the time on smaller installations.

In California based on business and professions code, any contractor with a electrical contractor's license can design any size project as long as the same contractor will build/install the designed work, otherwise an engineer with PE lic. needs to desgin.
In other cases it may be the desire of project owner or Architect to call for a design done by PE engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.