Can a fluorescent strip luminare be installed this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty

I do not see why it could not be, unless manufacturer directions say differently. If this is in a closet of a dwelling then we would need to review how close it is to the shelf.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
There are florescent light fixtures that are designed to be cut flush into sheetrock. I would not have a problem with your install. The clearance around the fixture for maintenance and installation is a good idea.

electricus

I do not see why it could not be, unless manufacturer directions say differently. If this is in a closet of a dwelling then we would need to review how close it is to the shelf.

I don't have original directions, but this is a Metalux luminare and I checked the PDF on the website and I don't see anything that says it can't, the models without reflector can be used for cove lighting also. This is not in a closet, it will be in a garage ceiling with painted wood around it.

The main reason for posting this question is if there will be a problem with heat, the luminares are a few years old and have P rated electronic ballast.

Why wouldn't you just use a flourescent fixture that was meant to be recess mounted?

That is a good point, but I already have 6 of this type of luminare and need a few more. I didn't want to sell these and get something else if I don't have to. But in the end if that is what I have to do, I will. That you know of does anyone make a drop in that is two lamps wide (not more that 8" wide) that can be put in a boxed out area made of wood, or IC rated. Above this will be blown in insultation.

There are florescent light fixtures that are designed to be cut flush into sheetrock. I would not have a problem with your install. The clearance around the fixture for maintenance and installation is a good idea.

Are the luminares that are designed to be flush cut into sheetrock also rated for wood? I wanted to leave clearance as you said for maintenace/cleaning, and to allow air movement for cooling.

My biggest concern is heat build up, I'm going to call the manufacture and see what they say, if no that is easy, time for new luminares. If yes, than I will run it past the local AHJ and see what they say.

maghazadeh

Can a fluorescent strip luminare be installed this way?

Chamuit

Are the luminares that are designed to be flush cut into sheetrock also rated for wood? I wanted to leave clearance as you said for maintenace/cleaning, and to allow air movement for cooling.

Mostly the fixtures Chamuit mentioned above are 1' x 4' or 2' x 4' regular lay-in fixtures design for T-bar ceiling installation. For flush installation in a hard cap/Sheetrock ceiling you need to order them with flange kit. You stated your application is in the garage, so I assume there is attic above the location of the fixtures. Flage kit has some pre cut metals shaped just like T sections of T-bar ceiling. Screw the T flange kit to your ceiling opening flush with sheetrock and lay-in the fixture on it.
Other form of fixtures design for this application are the ones that the T's are install on the fixture and they come with 4 rotating clamps on each corner, hold the fixtures in place rotate the clamps till they grab on the ceiling joist and tighten them.
Housing of the fixture keeps ballast and lamps far enough from wood that they don't have to be rated for wood. the same goes with the one in the picture, I wouldn't be wory about the heat.

electricus

maghazadeh

The layin fixture you mention, the 1 x 4' would work, I would just put 4 end to end to get the length needed in each row. I understand what you are saying with the metal strips that get installed for the fixture to lay on. The question I have is I will have blown insulation in the attic part of the garage. Above the fixture will be insulation, I would like to box out an area that the fixture could sit in so the insulation does not make direct contact. In case the fixture ever had to be pulled out the insulation wouldn't fall out with it. With a lay in fixture it wouldn't ever need to be replaced anyway, as it needs maintenance new parts and retrofit parts can always be installed in the original shell like: ballast, sockets, lens, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.