mobile home

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
550.11(A) requires "A single disconnecting means. . . in each mobile home. . ." (2011 NEC). I have assumed that this means that a MLP fed from breaker on pole outside would not comply, and that I can't run a circuit from the outdoor panel to a receptacle inside mobile home, because the single disconnecting means in the mobile home would not turn this circuit off. Am I understanding this correctly?

ceb58

550.11(A) requires "A single disconnecting means. . . in each mobile home. . ." (2011 NEC). I have assumed that this means that a MLP fed from breaker on pole outside would not comply, and that I can't run a circuit from the outdoor panel to a receptacle inside mobile home, because the single disconnecting means in the mobile home would not turn this circuit off. Am I understanding this correctly?

Seems like you are.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We always fished them out of the existing mobile home panel. If you're lucky, sometimes they cut pretty big holes in the subfloor so most of the time you don't even need to drill your own when you're adding circuits.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
We always fished them out of the existing mobile home panel. If you're lucky, sometimes they cut pretty big holes in the subfloor so most of the time you don't even need to drill your own when you're adding circuits.
Manufactorer is telling guy on ET forum that he will void warantee if he fishes new circuit from existing mobile home panel, need to run out to pole 40' away, didn't sound right to me.

Jim W in Tampa

Interesting topic. We recently purchased a 96 double wide foreclosure for a rental property. I found it rather strange that the jacuzee tub was not ran to the inside panel. They ran it in PVC to the pole. Will admit the pole was closer to the tub than the panel. As far as we can tell it was a factory tub not an add on. Does anyone see this as a hazard ? Are plenty of empty spaces it could been ran to.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Interesting topic. We recently purchased a 96 double wide foreclosure for a rental property. I found it rather strange that the jacuzee tub was not ran to the inside panel. They ran it in PVC to the pole. Will admit the pole was closer to the tub than the panel. As far as we can tell it was a factory tub not an add on. Does anyone see this as a hazard ? Are plenty of empty spaces it could been ran to.
As far as it being a hazard I don't worry about it much as I see it quite often, not usually a jacuzzi but more often added circuits. But I still suspect it to not comply with NEC. Or maybe I'm confused?

pfalcon

Manufactorer is telling guy on ET forum that he will void warantee if he fishes new circuit from existing mobile home panel, need to run out to pole 40' away, didn't sound right to me.

Doesn't void the warranty to pull from the panel providing it's done by a licensed person. Interesting enough a licensed homeowner doesn't always qualify - use a third party.

The practice began with older homes with 50A service that wanted to add air conditioning. The limited service wasn't just the mobile home but often the park service drop. Some vendors simply assumed that large loads would be run separately to the pole and a separate service drop. Our state mandated 100A refits of all service drops. No exceptions, no grandfather clause exclusions. So now many have a breaker panel under the service drop with the AC run to it as a separate run.

This may only be a hazard to an electrician that doesn't regularly service mobile homes. All the ones we use know there might be multiple runs. Frankly with how cheesy some of that old wiring is, I still check for cross-connections in the wiring after I believe I've made everything safe.

growler

Yes I see this as a hazard. Most owners and renters would "assume" that when they turn off that main breaker they have killed all power to the home.

If someone comes to service the tub ( repair tech ) and doesn't see a breaker marked for this will he just turn off the main breaker?

Jim W in Tampa

As to service, it still must have a disconnect or plug so no danger to service. Thankfully they did use a gfi breaker. I do think in an emergancy to kill power they might be confused so is a small hazard.

This is minor compaired to other issues I had to fix.
It had a central air with heat wired to inside panel 60 amp 2 pole. So far looks good. Disconnect outside has 60 amp breaker. Turned heat on (electric strip not heat pump) , did not have meter with me so with rest of house off turned heat on and watched time and digital electric meter. In 30 minutes it used about 7 kw. Suspected either poco meter wrong or 15 kw of heat. Yes had 3 5kw strips.
It ran fine for about an hour till breaker triped. Easy fix ,just remove 1 of them and keep as a spare.
No nead in FL for more than 10 kw in 1700 foot home. Believe it or not the original owner put up with this for 15 years. Actually it could work being it would not likely ran more than 30 minutes without reaching temperature needed. Breaker would have time to cool off in between.

Next issue had me scared. Only 2 smokes ,not interconnected, 1 in hall other in living room, none in bedrooms. Yes ,wired in new ones and interconnected all. All bedrooms now safe

No GFCI receptacle for one of the bathrooms. Yes easy fix but is on a 15 amp lighting circuit so likely be some problems in future.

They met code of wall switched recepticle. Only issue was they switched both haves not a half hot.

Nothing much surprizes me with mobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.