generator panel lockout kit meets code??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Being "listed" as an interlock between two devices has absolutely nothing to do with being able to be installed in an NEC compliant manner.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Being "listed" as an interlock between two devices has absolutely nothing to do with being able to be installed in an NEC compliant manner.

Not sure what you mean? Are you saying that using an unlisted interlock is OK?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Not sure what you mean? Are you saying that using an unlisted interlock is OK?
You can have equipment listed by UL that cannot be installed in a code compliant manner.

For example, the 'listed' breaker interlock could be used between alternative normal power sources without the 'generator sizing' restrictions.

nrp3

My question would be is how about the neutral bond in the generator and the neutral bond in the service panel? How do we get around that? I know it works well, unless you have a whole generator GFCI like on the new XP8000E.

ceb58

You can have equipment listed by UL that cannot be installed in a code compliant manner.

For example, the 'listed' breaker interlock could be used between alternative normal power sources without the 'generator sizing' restrictions.

With a interlock you would have a manual set up. So the size restriction is moot. You could have a 400 amp service and a 3 kw generator.

Jerseydaze

With a interlock you would have a manual set up. So the size restriction is moot. You could have a 400 amp service and a 3 kw generator.

But I thought you had to size the generator to the load to meet code I am missing something is that just for standby generators?

iwire

Staff member
But I thought you had to size the generator to the load to meet code I am missing something is that just for standby generators?

If you use an automatic transfer switch the generator has to meet or exceed the NEC calculated load on that automatic transfer switch.

If you use a manual transfer means, the generator is only required to be large enough to power the items the customer tells you they want to power.

ceb58

From the 2011

702.4 Capacity and Rating.

(1) Manual Transfer Equipment.​

Where manual transfer equipment is used, an optional standby system shall have adequate capacity and rating for the supply of all equipment intended to be operated at one time. The user of the optional standby system shall be permitted to select the load connected to the system.

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
http://www.nooutage.com/interlock_kits.htm does this meet code cuttler hamer has one to I thought generator had to handle the load?

"Our kits are designed to be installed by qualified electrical personnel and meet the strict requirements
of the National Electrical Code and the National Fire Protection Code. These kits are Listed to UL 67 by
an independent lab for use in the USA. Unfortunately they are not approved for use in Canada."

the wording in the web site is not clear. is this a UL listed part, or not?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
"Our kits are designed to be installed by qualified electrical personnel and meet the strict requirements
of the National Electrical Code and the National Fire Protection Code. These kits are Listed to UL 67 by
an independent lab for use in the USA. Unfortunately they are not approved for use in Canada."

the wording in the web site is not clear. is this a UL listed part, or not?
No, they are not UL listed. They are listed by the independent lab that tested them to the UL 67 standard.

I have had several email exchanges with that Interlockit company about the ambiguous wording and they did admit that the kits are NOT UL listed. Only "tested" to UL standards.

I know it costs money to get a UL stamp, but I think they may sell more of the kits if they had the stamp.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, my local Inspector will not approve them without an actual UL stamp/listing.

I have ordered two of the Reliance TTV2006C panels to replace my Siemens panels. I'd prefer to spend $300 for two Interlockit kits that fit my Siemens panels instead of $900 for new panels.... BUT... those kits won't fly where I live.

Plus the added expense of having the panels installed.

I really like those Reliance panels, especially since they accept so many different types of breakers. That will save me quite a bit since I can reuse my existing breakers.

And, of course, the Reliance panels ARE UL listed.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok, "UL" is not the only game in town, there are numerous NRTL's testing for UL standard compliance and an inspector should be aware of this. With that said, the Interlock kits Rob posted was in fact listed by Wyle Labs but (and a big but here) Wyle Labs recognition was revoked by OSHA so they are no longer listed, click HERE for more info

I don't know who the NRTL was that tested the OP's kits.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.