Two Voltages from Same Generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turk1957

I am installing a 100KW generator to feed 277 volt emegency lighting... Now they want to run data closet equipmen and other non Life Safety loads back to the same generator... I know I will need separate tranfer switches, per NEC 700.6(d) My question is, how do I provide dual voltages from the same generator? 480/277 and 120 volt?

Strife

HUH?
Generator - ATS for Critical power - panel.
Generator - ATS for standby power (make sure this ATS is programmed to shut down if generator gets overloaded) - 480V/208V transformer - panel.

I am installing a 100KW generator to feed 277 volt emegency lighting... Now they want to run data closet equipmen and other non Life Safety loads back to the same generator... I know I will need separate tranfer switches, per NEC 700.6(d) My question is, how do I provide dual voltages from the same generator? 480/277 and 120 volt?

DetroitEE

HUH?
Generator - ATS for Critical power - panel.
Generator - ATS for standby power (make sure this ATS is programmed to shut down if generator gets overloaded) - 480V/208V transformer - panel.

You shouldn't mix terminology from 517 and 700. Critical is only a term that applies to health care facilites essential electrical systems. I believe "legally required" and "optional standby" are the terms used for non healthcare facilies....someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I typically work exclusively on health care projects.

As others have said, you should just be using a transformer to get down to the 208/120V loads that you want to supply.

Strife

OK... I stand corrected:), legally required.
You probably are correct.
You shouldn't mix terminology from 517 and 700. Critical is only a term that applies to health care facilites essential electrical systems. I believe "legally required" and "optional standby" are the terms used for non healthcare facilies....someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I typically work exclusively on health care projects.

As others have said, you should just be using a transformer to get down to the 208/120V loads that you want to supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.