225.32 Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

Im wiring a pool house, and my question is, I have a pedestal sub panel about 6' away from the pool house, does this location conform to 225.32? Or does the panel actually have to be attached to the structure?

(Im guessing no, since its not the "nearest" point of entrance. )

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think an inspector can get you on that. I would install it on the building or at least have another panel at the point of entry. Trailers have the disconnect remote from the structure but the conductors usually enter the structure directly into a panel. I guess under the trailer is considered outside the building???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Were talking a technicality of 6'...

Dennis, I myself wouldn't do this install, Im just an employee, but I guarantee it happens, and i've already said my peace about it to the man that signs my check.

I understand. Bosses can be fairly adamant about stuff they know they can get away with. The problem is at what point is it compliant and then, not compliant. Obviously a pole mounted 6 inches off the building should not be an issue-- it technical is- but what about a foot, 2', 10', 20', etc.Oh well sorry you got put in that spot.

stickboy1375

I understand. Bosses can be fairly adamant about stuff they know they can get away with. The problem is at what point is it compliant and then, not compliant. Obviously a pole mounted 6 inches off the building should not be an issue-- it technical is- but what about a foot, 2', 10', 20', etc.Oh well sorry you got put in that spot.

Not saying this is right, but I hate the lack of knowledge the inspectors have around this area, at least i bring the violations to the surface and let the cards fall where they fall... <sigh>....

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Talk to your AHJ.

We had an issue wiring some spud sheds in Washington where we had 5 service disconnects all around/in the shed. Some were 10 feet away from it. The problem is, they consider anything within 15 feet as part of the structure and since our service disconnects weren't all grouped....

david

It?s a tuff call for an inspector you talked about educating people what section of the code would you point me to that would give some guidance on this. Even a manufactured home that would allow a disconnect within 30 Ft. still qualifies the rule to say the home itself can only be feed with one feeder.
So if it was just a service disconnect that may be a separate issue if this panel was also going to be a distribution of several branch circuits and feeders

stickboy1375

It?s a tuff call for an inspector you talked about educating people what section of the code would you point me to that would give some guidance on this. Even a manufactured home that would allow a disconnect within 30 Ft. still qualifies the rule to say the home itself can only be feed with one feeder.
So if it was just a service disconnect that may be a separate issue if this panel was also going to be a distribution of several branch circuits and feeders

This all falls under 225.30

david

Given only 225.32 to look at the disconnect would have to be as close the entrance of the conductors as you could get it. Its still a tuff call if that means it has to be attached to the building or not

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Given only 225.32 to look at the disconnect would have to be as close the entrance of the conductors as you could get it. Its still a tuff call if that means it has to be attached to the building or not
But we also have 225.30...

Status
Not open for further replies.