Is there a backwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During an inspection I discovered a breaker integral to an AC unit with the line wired on what I would call the load side Is this a code issue?
I have flagged it as a code deficiency under 90-4 as I believe it goes against "best practices" and could hurt someone.

iwire

Staff member
During an inspection I discovered a breaker integral to an AC unit with the line wired on what I would call the load side Is this a code issue?
I have flagged it as a code deficiency under 90-4 as I believe it goes against "best practices" and could hurt someone.

In my opinion you cannot / should not be trying to cite NEC compliance with listed equipment.

Beyond that even if this was under the NEC there is no rule which way we have to connect to any breaker unless the breaker is marked with line and load.

In my opinion you should let it go.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Did someone refuse to acknowledge you as the authority having jurisdiction? That really is the only way someone could violate 90-4. There is nothing about, and this is your quote, "best practices" in 90-4. 90-4 gives the AHJ permission to waive rules, not make them up.

If you wrote me up for that, I would pretty much have you on someone's carpet in very short notice.

I'll stop here since you are new. If you weren't, I would have more to say, and you probably wouldn't like it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
OK, I changed my mind after reading your profile:

I'm a Mike Holt Junior member with over 35 years in the trade I'm not rude enough to be a Senior member

You are not a senior member because you don't have enough posts.

For being in the trade for decades, as you say, you not only don't know the trade (obvious from the fact that you act like you have never seen a back fed breaker before) and you don't know the code.

Your tagging of the A/C unit was not only wrong, but the hold up will cost someone some money and you are the fault of that.

I also have to say, based upon your question here and the action you took, you are definitely not qualified to be an electrical inspector.

If you consider that rude, you ain't heard nothin' yet!!

:angel:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
If 90-4 is read properly, it is a statement of responsibility, not a free grant of prerogative. In other words, an AHJ or their representative should already know what they are doing before they make an arbitrary judgment call from ignorance.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
According to NEC 2008 240.81, the requirement is that "handle up = On and handle down = Off", it says nothing about top and bottom wiring.
UL 489 says that breakers may be 'wired backwards' unless they are specifically marked with Line and Load designators.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
OK, I changed my mind after reading your profile:

You are not a senior member because you don't have enough posts.

For being in the trade for decades, as you say, you not only don't know the trade (obvious from the fact that you act like you have never seen a back fed breaker before) and you don't know the code.

Your tagging of the A/C unit was not only wrong, but the hold up will cost someone some money and you are the fault of that.

I also have to say, based upon your question here and the action you took, you are definitely not qualified to be an electrical inspector.

If you consider that rude, you ain't heard nothin' yet!!

:angel:

tough crowd today!:eek:hmy: With bashing like that you wonder why this guy has so few posts.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Misuse of 90.4 has a way of bringing out the worst in people. :D

Roger

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I hate inspectors that act as Engineers, know-it- alls, and such also when they misuse a code or apply the wrong code.
It truly is tough to hold back sometimes.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
If the OP had been more “What do you think about this equipment?,” I believe the responses would have been much more charitable. The worst it would have received would be something along the line of reminding the author of 90-7, second paragraph.

Instead, the OP revealed an action already taken out of ignorance and wanting a justification for it. I don’t think anyone wasparticularly rude for pointing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.