RGS PVC COATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok, I just want to confirm something. If I have 250' straight run on rgs or pvc coated rgs there is really no need for couplings and each section/stick of conduit will have a coupling and a threaded end. THanks.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Ok, I just want to confirm something. If I have 250' straight run on rgs or pvc coated rgs there is really no need for couplings and each section/stick of conduit will have a coupling and a threaded end. THanks.

I am pretty sure each stick of RGS comes with a coupling, but I seem to recall the PVC coated RGS does not.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IS that true about PVC coated RGS? THanks.

but I seem to recall the PVC coated RGS does not.

But don't trust my rememberer. It would be best to ask the supplier of the PVC coated RGS. It may be different for different suppliers. I know that at one time one of the PVC coated RGS suppliers used to include a can of the repair liquid with each shipment, but another supplier did not.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
You buy couplings seperate, the pipe only shows up with plastic thread protectors on both ends. Call a supply house if you want to verify it.

buddhakii

Not sure but I think it was Rob Roy that we got last year that had the couplings on and the coating was complete and smooth over the pipe and coupling. Never get it again though. Every single coupling cracked and broke the coating when tightening the conduit.

Okie Sparky

The PVC-coated rigid conduit that I have installed has always came without coupling, then you get a box of couplings like are pictured in the link you provided and get busy. :happyyes:

wireguy8169

Working at a waste water plant we use a fair amount of rob roy and it never comes with couplers when I have ordered it. I am glad it doesn't every time I look at the shelves and see how many RMC couplers I have laying around that I did not use.

WirenutNH

When we order it it comes with the couplings, Maybe it is a supply house thing but we order 10' it shows up on slip as pipe only and it is delivered with 1 coupling for each stick

John120/240

Well if you don't have a Rigid threader on site, I would use a threadless coupling.

Say for example you have a 10ft stick of rigid and cut off two feet to make the run complete,

a threadless coupling is what you use.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Well if you don't have a Rigid threader on site, I would use a threadless coupling.

Say for example you have a 10ft stick of rigid and cut off two feet to make the run complete,

a threadless coupling is what you use.

Thanks. And I'm sure spec dictates. But if you were plowed per spec I guess you would never thread when you cut a stick. That would be a waste of time, correct? Thanks

John120/240

It depends on the situation. Threadless couplings can be expensive to buy. Is there a threader

on the job site ? How many pieces of 85 & 3/4" conduit do you need ? What is your labor cost

per hour ? Two men with a porta band saw can cut & thread a lot of conduit in a couple of

hours.

Rule of thumb: due to cost save the threadless coupling for emergencys

Status
Not open for further replies.