How much would you charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishRugger

I installed a new 20 Amp circuit for a bathroom GFCI Receptacle today in a home built in the early 80's. Ran the new circuit from the 200 A square D QO panel located in a finished basement with drop ceiling in basement. Panel located approximately 50 feet from where I went up through the wall. Measured and fished up an inside wall in the bathroom, cut in receptacle opening in wall paper and installed GFCI recept. All works great and customer is happy. How much would you charge? Just want to know If I am in the ball park. Spent 1/2 hour looking at job and getting materials rounded up and then 2 1/2 hours for the install and clean up. Please advise I just want to be sure I didn't over charge.

IrishRugger

Just want to add I marked up my material using the material mark up list that I found on this forum a couple of years ago and I billed out for three hours. Also customer paid the invoice and didn't even flinch about the cost. As a matter of fact he wanted to give me a blank check without me giving him an invoice or knowing the cost . I told him I would feel better if I gave him an invoice first. So I did. I am very conciensious about my billing and I would feel better if I knew what others would have charged. I'm not an under-cutter or a trunk slammer and I hate it when guys are that way. I just feel I need to get what I'm worth so i can take care of my family. Sorry about the rant the Holidays are starting to effect me.

copper chopper

here in wisconsin 3 hrs labor=$424.00
materails = 13 % mark-up on what ever you bought...
I know most poeple think were on crack when they get the bill and want to know why it costs so much...
Well I dont do this for a living to not make money--- LOL

sd4524

I never get the luxury of a basement or a big attic because of the way houses are built here. I would be a minimum of $495 with a decent attic or crawlspace. Price goes up with an extra flat roof or a crawlspace that is hard to bellycrawl in

svh19044

In the suburbs here, it's not the cheapest for work. That would be considered a 1 man hour job (excluding an estimate, it would take just under an hour from start to vacuum) and be in the ball park of $165, $45 in material, $120/hour. This is without seeing the job, but basement with drop ceiling+stilts=quick work. If there is crap all over, or any other foreseeable challenges, the time estimate goes up.

If I were billing out for 3 hours with a decent material markup as you did in your case, it would be around $450. I wouldn't have gotten the job on the estimate, or at least I wouldn't expect to. A lot of the under cutters/side job guys around here would charge $90 for the entire job and be happy with $45 in their pocket for a couple hours of work. Average labor is about $90/hour.

However, if you gave the estimate and got the job, you didn't over charge. Or if the customer is happy and you didn't give an estimate, you didn't over charge. I would consider keeping prices as you have them and adjust accordingly, assuming your customer do get other estimates.

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I installed a new 20 Amp circuit for a bathroom GFCI Receptacle today in a home built in the early 80's. Ran the new circuit from the 200 A square D QO panel located in a finished basement with drop ceiling in basement. Panel located approximately 50 feet from where I went up through the wall. Measured and fished up an inside wall in the bathroom, cut in receptacle opening in wall paper and installed GFCI recept. All works great and customer is happy. How much would you charge? Just want to know If I am in the ball park. Spent 1/2 hour looking at job and getting materials rounded up and then 2 1/2 hours for the install and clean up. Please advise I just want to be sure I didn't over charge.

Was your price with or without an inspection? Is one required where you are?;)

IrishRugger

I really appreciate your guy's input. This forum is a great place to ask questions. I allways get good constructive responses so thanks everyone! I will continue to ask questions in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.