What if you pee on power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

Ive been wondering for a long time if you installed a receptacle behind a toilet or just off center someone may be able to pee on it. Furthermore, if you where standing on a slab with tile and your feet are bare and damp could the power travel up the salty content in your urine and shock you. Ive heard of people doing this in the subway on the live tracks and knocking them dead. Any thoughts?

socalelect

i can say with absolute certinaty if you dont heed the warning " dont whiz on the electric fence" it will bite you where you dont want to be bit and it hurts for quite a few days after

highvolts582

i can say with absolute certinaty if you dont heed the warning " dont whiz on the electric fence" it will bite you where you dont want to be bit and it hurts for quite a few days after

Speaking of electrical fences i used to like to touch them when I was a kid. Little tickle on the finger, but one day after swimming I whipped one with a wet towel and bare feet after that I felt bad for barnyard animals. And myself!!!

realolman

Ive been wondering for a long time if you installed a receptacle behind a toilet or just off center someone may be able to pee on it. Furthermore, if you where standing on a slab with tile and your feet are bare and damp could the power travel up the salty content in your urine and shock you. Ive heard of people doing this in the subway on the live tracks and knocking them dead. Any thoughts?

give it a whirl and let us know:)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician

It's a good question and I would guess yes it would shock you. Although due to the requirements of 210.8 you may not even feel it and it certainly won't kill you

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Requirements of 210.8 may not prevent you from feeling a shock, and may not protect you from death depending on you general health and age.

While from personal experience I have tripped a GFCI device via finger to thumb and never felt a thing, I have talked to those that definately did feel the shock and did not want to repeat the experience.

I would at least make sure the GFCI protection is remote from the "targeted" device.

iwire

Staff member
It's a good question and I would guess yes it would shock you. Although due to the requirements of 210.8 you may not even feel it and it certainly won't kill you

There is no way that a GFCI can trip before you feel it, there is no ground fault until you become a path and once there is a ground fault it takes some time for the GFCI to sense it and open the circuit.

I am not going to try it with my equipment. :happyno:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
They tried to reproduce that effect on Mythbusters and were not able to, IIRC. I, too, have heard the stories but have not spoken with anyone who has had any first, uh, hand experience with it. I would not tempt fate by trying it myself, but it may be an urban legend with no basis in truth.

renosteinke

I believe "Mythbusters" busted this myth. It appears that the urine stream very quickly breaks into droplets, thus opening the path.

I might be wrong. Try it with an extension cord and let us know.

Besoeker

Speaking of electrical fences i used to like to touch them when I was a kid. Little tickle on the finger, but one day after swimming I whipped one with a wet towel and bare feet after that I felt bad for barnyard animals. And myself!!!
I was brought up in the country - a farmer's boy.
One day I was out walking with my dog and grabbed the electric fence - the sort of thing you do as a youngster as a bit of bravado.
While I was standing there with my right fist firmly round the wire and my left hand down by my side my dog trotted up and nudged my left hand with his nose probably just wanting to make his presence known or get a bit of attention.
Um....wet nose, no footwear and wet grass. Right hand to left hand to wet nose to wet feet. I got one helluva belt - as did the poor dog. He took off like a rocket, ran home and hid under the table. Took him days to get over it. Apart from the electric shock at the time, I still feel bad about what I allowed to happen - I was very fond of that dog.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

this actually is a true story. it was covered at a safety meeting for a public utility.
it happened in the service area for that utility.

a man climbed up to the top of a 230KV tower, armed with a backpack of beers.
he sat up there drinking, and throwing down the empties, while communing with
nature, and i'm sure, reviewing every misfortune done to him by man, beast, or fate.

nature taking it's course, and still having beers undrunk, the man set out to relieve
himself, and decided to see if he could pee in between the parallel conductors of one
of the phases.

salt water being what it is, he took 230 kv to his groin area, and fell from the tower,
landing on his back.

he was conscious when paramedics reached him. he lived for a day afterwards.

that information was presented at a quarterly safety meeting for the utility.

kwired

Electron manager

You will feel the 4-6ma required to trip a GFCI very well most of the time.

Try plugging one of those GFCI testers into a receptacle with no ground present in a metal enclosure, make sure you are both well grounded and touching the cover when you press the test button.

SG-1

I witnessed a drunk taking a whiz right into, above, to the side of, a 120 VAC receptacle in a hotel hallway. It had no effect on him.

I know a guy who took a whiz on an electric fence, says he woke up several hours later in the pasture by the fence.

iwire

Staff member
You will feel the 4-6ma required to trip a GFCI very well most of the time.

There is nothing in a GFCI that limits current or voltage. The only limiting factor will be the resistance of the connections to the body.

You will feel every bit the circuit has to offer for the amount of cycles it takes for the GFCI to sense and open the circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
There is nothing in a GFCI that limits current or voltage. The only limiting factor will be the resistance of the connections to the body.

You will feel every bit the circuit has to offer for the amount of cycles it takes for the GFCI to sense and open the circuit.

I understand, I also believe 4-6 ma is enough that most people will feel it. May depend on exactly where it flows through them. I'm guessing the likely current path in the topic of this thread means it will probably be felt.:eek:

Yeah, many years ago as a young apprentice, I was wiring a shed for a friend on a hot summer night. The wiring I was doing was taken off the load side of a gfci, I had installed a few days earlier for his pool pump.....My friend came in and started talking to me, as I was tying something in live...receptacles maybe? I don't remember, but I found out two things....Sweat,electricity and your distracted body are a bad mix! #2- GFCI's can save a life-And yes it hurt-alot. It didn't feel like 1/40th of a second -I'll tell you that! LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.