ELECTRICAL DEMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
When it says the electrical contractor is to remove all conduit and wire what do you usually do?

1. Qualify only safe-offs/disconnects with removals by others.
2. Account for removing all the conduit and wire while seeing what conduits can be left abandoned.
3. Check with GC to see what should be figured.

THanks.

Strife

If you think there could be a lot of conduit and wires you can reuse qualify #2.
If not, go with #1

When it says the electrical contractor is to remove all conduit and wire what do you usually do?

2. Account for removing all the conduit and wire while seeing what conduits can be left abandoned.

THanks.

iMuse97

Bid the job and do the work. At the facilities we work at, electricians (plant or contract) are the only people permitted to work on electrical installations or removals. However, if a complete building (structure and all) is being demo'd, at which time the electricians disconnect all electric power sources, and all other power sources are deenergized and the demo commences.

At customer owned plants and facilities, we almost never reuse wire, because of any number of reasons that it cannot be verified to be "as good as new" and because bids generally don't allow for re-used wire.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks....I also was told disconnect and DROP TO FLOOR for removal by demo crew. Don't know if that is common too. Thanks.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

THanks.

I vote for #3.

The EC might be responsible for disconnecting and removing the conduit and wire and throwing it in a pile for someone else to physically remove, or they may expect you to rent a dumpster and have it hauled away on your nickle. Find out for sure up front and make sure it is specified in your bid just what you actually included in your bid.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician

1. Qualify only safe-offs

I do this and the rest will follow either by me during new construction others doing the same.

I vote for #3.

The EC might be responsible for disconnecting and removing the conduit and wire and throwing it in a pile for someone else to physically remove, or they may expect you to rent a dumpster and have it hauled away on your nickle.

This only applies in this day and age to hazardous disposal. Pipe, wire, switchgear we put by the curb and its gone before sundown.

maghazadeh

THanks.

All Demolishing contractors that I seen have no electrical knowledge to know where to stop demo.
So to make sure things that needs to stay doesn't get demoed, I vote for #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.