110.26 (C) (2) Definition of "Equipment"

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanland

110.26 (C) (2) requires (with exceptions) more than one exit when "equipment rated 1200 amperes or more" is located in a room. The problem is that the word "equipment" is both single and plural.

I know that if I have a single switchboard rated 1200A or more this applies.

What if I have three 400A panels or six 200A panels or twelve 100A panels?

I have an AHJ saying that because the total capacity of the "equipment" (plural) is 1200A, I need to comply.

Can anyone offer an NEC citation that provides clarification?

raider1

Staff member
IMHO the listing and rating of the equipment would have to be 1200 amperes to qualify in regards to 110.26(C)(2). A 200 amp disconnect is rated at 200 amps and adding up 6 of them does not constitute equipment rated at 1200 amps.

Chris

beanland

1200A Single Item or 1200A Total

1200A Single Item or 1200A Total

I concur but the NEC 100 definition of "equipment" implies that it can be single or plural. 110.26 (C)(3) lists overcurrent devices, switches, etc. If I consider equipment as plural, a 400A panel with main breaker and 42 20A branch circuit breakers is over 1200A of switching capacity becasue the total circuit breaker capacity is over 1200A.

If the definition of equipment was "a single item or assembly..." it would be clearer. Problem is the AHJ wants to add up total panel capacity and there is nothing in the NEC that clarifies the definition that I can cite. As a result, I am stuck with the AHJ interpretation.

raider1

Staff member
I concur but the NEC 100 definition of "equipment" implies that it can be single or plural. 110.26 (C)(3) lists overcurrent devices, switches, etc. If I consider equipment as plural, a 400A panel with main breaker and 42 20A branch circuit breakers is over 1200A of switching capacity becasue the total circuit breaker capacity is over 1200A.

If the definition of equipment was "a single item or assembly..." it would be clearer. Problem is the AHJ wants to add up total panel capacity and there is nothing in the NEC that clarifies the definition that I can cite. As a result, I am stuck with the AHJ interpretation.

In you example of the 400 amp panel the panel is rated at 400 amps not 1200 amps even though if you add all the 20 amp breakers up they would add up to 1200 amps.

In my opinion it is the same for multiply pieces of equipment. If I don;t have a single piece of equipment that is rated at 1200 amps then IMHO 110.26(C)(2) does not apply.

Chris

pete m.

Is the AHJ also taking the sum of the individual widths of each piece of equipment?

(2) Large Equipment. For equipment rated 1200 amperes
or more and over 1.8 m (6 ft) wide that contains overcurrent
devices, switching devices, or control......

Pete

renosteinke

In the case of multiple disconnects, I would base the decision on the size of the service (or feeder) feeding the room. After all, 'adding breakers' can easily give you an inflated result.

If it is an unfused service supplying the room, I'd look to the size of the wires as a guide.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Problem is the AHJ wants to add up total panel capacity and there is nothing in the NEC that clarifies the definition that I can cite. As a result, I am stuck with the AHJ interpretation.
The AHJ needs to be introduced to Charlie's Rule. :happyyes: This is not about the nature of the word, "equipment," nor about whether it is intended to imply a singular or a plural configuration. It is about ratings. The key word in the rule, as Chris has already mentioned, is "rated." A panel's rating is assigned by its manufacturer, not by its installer. If all you have in a room is three side-by-side panels that each have a rating of 400 amps, then nothing in the room will have been labeled by its manufacturer as having a rating of 1200.

pfalcon

110.26 (C) (2) requires (with exceptions) more than one exit when "equipment rated 1200 amperes or more" is located in a room. ...

Although the word equipment can be singular or plural, the word contains used in this paragraphs defines it as singular. Proper grammatical testing of a sentence is done by reducing the sentence to noun-verb-object as:
Equipment that contains
which is singular versus
Equipment that contain
which would be plural.

Last edited:

Mezani

Gangable Equipment

Gangable Equipment

What about a 1200 amp tap can with 6-4high 100 amp meter bases on each side. (48 units) Each meter stack is rated 800 amps. Another scenario; What if you have a 1200 amp main breaker and all the meter stacks are rated 1200 amps?

Status
Not open for further replies.