Service entrance cable in wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwade0700

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was recently shot down on an electrical inspection for a 200 amp single meter residential electrical service replacement. The main circuit breaker panel was to be located on the 1st floor as previous flooding ruined the panel in the basement. The meter is located outside the building. The 4/O service entrance cable was installed from the bottom of meter then into the wall behind the meter and up 2-3 feet into panel. THe panel is recessed into the wall for a flush mount. The electrical inspector said the unprotected service entrance cable in the wall was unacceptacle as this portion of the cable was unprotected and non-fused. He would like me to run SE cable from the meter, then along the outside of the building and straight into the back of the panel. That way the cable is passing horizontally not vertically thru the wall. I don't know where in code this fails except AHJ. Any code references?

pete m.

230.70(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting
means shall be installed at a readily accessible location
either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the
point of entrance
of the service conductors.

This is the code section. Unless there is a local ammendment giving you a certain distance that the SE cable can be routed through the interior of the structure you are at the mercy of the AHJ on this.

Pete

Hendrix

230.70(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting
means shall be installed at a readily accessible location
either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the
point of entrance
of the service conductors.

This is the code section. Unless there is a local ammendment giving you a certain distance that the SE cable can be routed through the interior of the structure you are at the mercy of the AHJ on this.

Pete
I would not pass this either. If the SE is running behind sheetrock, unprotected, it may create a hazerdous situation.

pete m.

I would not pass this either. If the SE is running behind sheetrock, unprotected, it may create a hazerdous situation.

I agree (sorry OP) but the SE cable concealed within a wall, to me, just begs for something such as a nail or screw to find it's way into it.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.