backfeeding a circuit breaker on a MLO panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Is it a violation to backfeed a circuit breaker and use it as a main on a MLO panel? Seems lile the main lugs would be energized when this is done.

It is fine and yes they would be.

If it is plug in breaker you must add a retainer to keep it from coming off the panel.

sii

Is it a violation to backfeed a circuit breaker and use it as a main on a MLO panel? Seems lile the main lugs would be energized when this is done.

I believe that as long as the panel is listed to do it that way you should be OK. Cutler Hammer Ch panels are the only ones I've ever done this on and you have to install the hold-down bracket to hold the "main" breaker in place.

Strife

Bought a GE outdoor panel two days ago, box says convertible to main breaker. Opened the box and I KNOW you can not install a main on the lugs (no space above the lugs, no cutout in the cover). So the only way to convert to a main breaker is to snap in one.

I believe that as long as the panel is listed to do it that way you should be OK. Cutler Hammer Ch panels are the only ones I've ever done this on and you have to install the hold-down bracket to hold the "main" breaker in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.