Oversized circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Generally, yes you can.

210.23 Permissible Loads. ...An individual branch circuit shall be permitted to supply any load for which it is rated. A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets...shall supply only the loads specified according to its size as specified in 210.23(A) thru (D).

210.23(D) Branch Circuits Larger than 50 Amperes. Branch circuits larger than 50 amps shall supply on nonlighting outlet loads.

raider1

Staff member
Generally, yes you can.

210.23 Permissible Loads. ...An individual branch circuit shall be permitted to supply any load for which it is rated. A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets...shall supply only the loads specified according to its size as specified in 210.23(A) thru (D).

210.23(D) Branch Circuits Larger than 50 Amperes. Branch circuits larger than 50 amps shall supply on nonlighting outlet loads.

The branch circuit would be fine but the load may need overcurrent protection set at 40 amps. We really need to know what the load is to determine if this set up is acceptable.

Chris

tim89s

No instructions. For simplicity sake lets assume its a heater. Could I protect it with a 60 amp
breaker and wire. This may sound stupid but I thought the ocpd was for the wire. I didn't think the code cared about the device it was serving.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No instructions. For simplicity sake lets assume its a heater. Could I protect it with a 60 amp
breaker and wire. This may sound stupid but I thought the ocpd was for the wire. I didn't think the code cared about the device it was serving.
Yes it "cares".

210.20 Overcurrent Protection. Branch-circuit conductors
and equipment shall be protected by overcurrent protective
devices that have a rating or setting that complies
with 210.20(A) through (D).
(C) Equipment. The rating or setting of the overcurrent
protective device shall not exceed that specified in the applicable
articles referenced in Table 240.3 for equipment.
Power supplies are not in the list. Fixed-Electric Space Heating is...??? In what type of facility is this to be used? What will it be used for, i.e. what will be tested? Anything else that might help accurately categorize it to one of the listed equipment types...?

tim89s

The power supply changes the voltage from 208 to 300 volts and increases the frequency from 60the to 10000hz. I am not sure what they are testing to be honest. They build alot of stuff for airplanes. I am guessing they are testing a motor that is used on a airplane.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The power supply changes the voltage from 208 to 300 volts and increases the frequency from 60the to 10000hz. I am not sure what they are testing to be honest. They build alot of stuff for airplanes. I am guessing they are testing a motor that is used on a airplane.
Hard to nail down to a listed category. Sounds similar to an adjustable-speed drive system covered by Article 430 Part X, but its requirements don't put a cap on circuit rating.

Let me ask this, why are you considering this 60A circuit in the first place? Is it an existing unused circuit?

How are you establishing the 40A load value?

Do you have access to the equipment? Can you determine what the first-supplied component(s) are inside it?

Does it have a nameplate with electrical supply or consumption data on it, and if so what is that data?

Short on information, short on answer :(

Strife

You have:
1: Minimum Circuit Ampacity. That is the minimum wire size you have to use for that circuit. The breaker HAS to protect that wire size(with some exceptions).
2: Then you have Maximum Overcurrent Protection. That is the MAXIMUM OCPD the manufacturer consider safe to install. Sure the #6 wire is protected by the 60A breaker, but the equipment is not. Keep in mind the manufacturer uses a lot smaller wires running around their equipment, so to get the UL listing, there's a maximum overcurrent protection that will work safely with their wires, terminals, contactors and other equipment.

Can you use a 60 amp breaker and wire on 40 amp noncontinuous restive load? Please give code section if there is one.
Thank you
tim

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Depending on exactly what you're connecting, see 422.11 (A)-(G). Many things can be breakered at 150% of nameplate (rule (E)). Commercial heating appliances are limited to 50A circuits (rules (C) and (D)).

Status
Not open for further replies.