Upside Down Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Usually, when I see a panel installed upside down (breaker operated side to side), is because of the location of the service entrance cable connection into the panel (main breakers are then located at the bottom).

Is there a reason to install a panel upside down when the main breaker is located at the top? Any adverse affects? My concerns are based on the observation of some apparent mis-alignment of the main breaker and the one to the right.

Odd thing is that the electrical contractors promo sticker is on the bottom of the panel cover and upside down - I am wondering is someone somehow changed it after.

DSCN0695.jpg

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
That panel is designed to be rotated. Notice the embossed word LINE that is both right side up and the upside, in the middle of the bottom of the picture. The problem is the conductors entering the top left breaker, are not bent sufficiently to allow the breaker to fit into its designed alignment.

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That panel is designed to be rotated. Notice the embossed word LINE that is both right side up and the upside, in the middle of the bottom of the picture. The problem is the conductors entering the top left breaker, are not bent sufficiently to allow the breaker to fit into its designed alignment.

Isn't this panel, although designed to be rotated, still supposed to be fed from the KO where the word line is stamped? In this picture, shouldn't Line come in from the bottom? If the panel were rotated, then line should come in from the top.

paul

That panel is an MLO panel. The main breaker installed to back-feed it should have a kit to bolt it securely in place. Other than that, I see no problem.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with the above...
but, as always, we have a picture to critique :D

Service panel ? (I assume so only because the conduit is bonded and we have neutrals and grounds on our bars)

If so, I don't see the bonding screw/strap.

The neutral "strap" looks strange for a SquareD. Has it been altered ?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Isn't this panel, although designed to be rotated, still supposed to be fed from the KO where the word line is stamped?
No.
The word Line is indicating the main lugs are. The conductors can enter through any knockout.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One potential problem I see is the green conductor in the top right side of the panel. If this is a GEC then it need to terminate at the neutral bar.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation

Service panel ? (I assume so only because the conduit is bonded and we have neutrals and grounds on our bars)

There is a green screw installed in the horizontal portion of the neutral bus, just above the 'n' in LINE.
It looks like a normal neutral bus.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The panel is not upside down, but the main breaker needs a tie down.

One potential problem I see is the green conductor in the top right side of the panel. If this is a GEC then it need to terminate at the neutral bar.

I agree but also it looks to me that there is another GEC is on the left (solid copper) and it does terminate on the neutral.

other issue, the AC cable on the right doesn't have correct connector. The bonding wire, why is that white?

stevebea

The panel is not upside down, but the main breaker needs a tie down.

I agree but also it looks to me that there is another GEC is on the left (solid copper) and it does terminate on the neutral.

other issue, the AC cable on the right doesn't have correct connector. The bonding wire, why is that white?

I believe the cable on the right with the armored jacket is a ground wire. I see three possible EGC's.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
because of the KO seals it seems that they originally were going to install it the other way.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Why are you slapping your head there is only one GEC

It seems like we do have three separate GEC. In this picture I dont see why an EGC would run separately than the circuit conductors, besides, there are no large ampacity circuits to warrant that size EGC.

John120/240

There is no up or down orientation for this panel. Just because you are used to seeing

a main breaker at the top, electricity doesn't know the difference. I always try to limit the

romex jacket from a 1/4" to 3/4" inside the panel. On the lower left I see a #4 bare. any other

GEC's

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I can see why the added main is not aligned properly, but I can't see why the top right breaker is out of line. I haven't seen where anyone mentioned the reason for that. Also wondering if this is a service panel why there are no 2-pole breakers. I also don't see why they flipped the panel. Unless they plan on using the MLO lugs for a feed through later.

david

It seems like we do have three separate GEC. In this picture I dont see why an EGC would run separately than the circuit conductors, besides, there are no large ampacity circuits to warrant that size EGC.

? 250.24 (4) Main Bonding Jumper as Wire or Busbar. Where the main bonding jumper specified in 250.28 is a wire or busbar and is installed from the grounded conductor terminal bar or bus to the equipment grounding terminal bar or bus in the service equipment, the grounding electrode conductor shall be permitted to be connected to the equipment grounding terminal, bar, or bus to which the main bonding jumper is connected.

I see one GEC on the neutral busbar I think the other two are bonds from the equipment ground busbar, they may be re-grounding the equipment grounds but I don?t think they are GEC the way they are currently installed

Stevareno

The bonding screw is almost centered at the bottom in between the neutral busses.

I know it doesn't "really" matter (in this case), but I don't like how they connected some of the ground wires to the neutral bus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.