Bonding a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

A panel usually comes with two side bars, one for the nuetraland one for the ground. I know that they can both be used for the nuetral connections if you keep the jumper bar in between them. But am I thinking right when I say you can remove the jumper bar, install bonding screw and use one of those bars for your ground wires?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I do that all the time however depending on the brand-- Seimens or GE they make a plastic bar to replace the metal jumper. I have never been called on it and I see no reason that the plastic bar is needed so I just remove the jumper. The reason I mention it is because you could get called on 110.3(B)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
i agree with Dennis, but add that some manufacturers design their panels in such a manner that the "jumper" bar is not considered to be field removable. Some SquareD panels come to mind.

TobyD

Siemens has recently changed their design somewhat for the better I think.Their latest design has a field installed grounding lug terminal seperate from the neutral terminals.This aids in both main lug and main breaker apps.Although you need to be careful with the load center covers now.I think they have changed the can to one size ,so a 30 cir. and 40 cir .can is the same with the interior size of spaces being different.The older version of Siemens with the copper bonding strap ,I always land my neutral on the neutral side and the grounding conductors on the other side.I have seen the copper strap loose from the factory ,even though the screws checked tight.There have been times I have seen the screws cross threaded.I discovered this loose strap problem on a service call.And we all know what effect a loose connection has on electronic as well as other equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.