Upside Down Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

I can see why the added main is not aligned properly, but I can't see why the top right breaker is out of line. I haven't seen where anyone mentioned the reason for that. Also wondering if this is a service panel why there are no 2-pole breakers. I also don't see why they flipped the panel. Unless they plan on using the MLO lugs for a feed through later.

This is a 1930's home - no need for 2-pole breakers (no central a/c, air handlers, electric dryers, ranges, etc). Meter on the outside of the home - just opposite the panel.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This is a 1930's home - no need for 2-pole breakers (no central a/c, air handlers, electric dryers, ranges, etc). Meter on the outside of the home - just opposite the panel.

Being a 1930 house doesn't automatically dismiss 2-pole breakers. I did some work in one a few months back that was built in 1926, plenty of 2-pole breakers.:p But if they don't have any of those loads I see why there isn't any. Still don't see why the top right breaker is misaligned or why they flipped the panel.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Big green to ground rod
Armored gnd to water pipe
Main needs clip
brkr across from main needs to be squared, neut. is pushing it over.
too much nm sheath on multiconductor.
white bond should be bare or green

kwired

Electron manager
I am about 99% sure Square D does not make a retaining kit to mount a main in that position of the panel. The panel may be designed to accept the retaining kit in the bottom positions in this case, otherwise you need the QOM series main breakers that go in place of the main lugs.

This panel can not be mounted upside down as there is no designated top or bottom.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I am about 99% sure Square D does not make a retaining kit to mount a main in that position of the panel. The panel may be designed to accept the retaining kit in the bottom positions in this case, otherwise you need the QOM series main breakers that go in place of the main lugs.
While Square D does make a breaker retaining kit for QO breakers, I do not know if there are restrictions as to where that breaker kit can be installed.

kwired

Electron manager
While Square D does make a breaker retaining kit for QO breakers, I do not know if there are restrictions as to where that breaker kit can be installed.

The retaining kit bolts to the foot rail that the breakers mount on. Not every space has a hole for the bolt to attach the retaining kit. Most of the time there are only limited number of spaces that do and my experience has been that they are in the first few spaces closest to the main lugs. In the 6 and 8 space panels they are usually only in the left couple of positions.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The retaining kit bolts to the foot rail that the breakers mount on. Not every space has a hole for the bolt to attach the retaining kit. Most of the time there are only limited number of spaces that do and my experience has been that they are in the first few spaces closest to the main lugs. In the 6 and 8 space panels they are usually only in the left couple of positions.

One back-fed main breaker retaining kit mounts only in positions 2&4 (for series S1 and S2 panels)
http://products.schneider-electric....ail&oid=090089268011a893&cat=0b0089268022c9a4

Another mounting kit does not list the restrictions in its mounting instructions (for series S3 panels).
http://products.schneider-electric....ail&oid=09008926801adb4a&cat=0b0089268022c9a4

kwired

Electron manager
One back-fed main breaker retaining kit mounts only in positions 2&4 (for series S1 and S2 panels)
http://products.schneider-electric....ail&oid=090089268011a893&cat=0b0089268022c9a4

Another mounting kit does not list the restrictions in its mounting instructions (for series S3 panels).
http://products.schneider-electric....ail&oid=09008926801adb4a&cat=0b0089268022c9a4

The second one you have a link for only fits in certain spots in certain panels. The mounting rail does not have a hole for the mounting screw in every position. In fact it does not have a hole in most positions.

The first one only fits in postion 2 and 4 in the panels it is designed to fit in.

Status
Not open for further replies.