Circuit Tracers? Greenlee cs-8000/ Amprode AT-2005/ Ideal 61-958

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

These are three circuit tracers that I've been researching.

I'm interested in a circuit tracer that can trace a wire, hot or dead, in a wall to help find opens or shorts, or maybe a hidden junction box (I currently have a nail-on recep. box behind a cabinet that the cabinet guys didn't cut out).

I'd be interested in hearing any feedback on users of these products, or any other tracers that maybe I haven't checked out.
None of them are cheap, so I'd like to find out as much as possible before taking any plunge!

Thanks,
Sky

hurk27

I also have the greenlee and it's like my vision into walls, as I use it so often, but there was a version that I liked much better as it had an adjustable sensitivity that allowed me to zero in on a box much better then the one I have now which has a auto sensitivity and just a HI and LOW sensitivity setting, the other one was stolen off a job site, but both worked hot of dead circuits, and makes finding lost connections a breeze and I have gotten use to the new one.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I like my $30 Sperry. It works but I won't go on a killing spree if I break it. It's usually not too much to ask to shut a circuit off before tracing it. :)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
These are three circuit tracers that I've been researching.

I'm interested in a circuit tracer that can trace a wire, hot or dead, in a wall to help find opens or shorts, or maybe a hidden junction box (I currently have a nail-on recep. box behind a cabinet that the cabinet guys didn't cut out).

I'd be interested in hearing any feedback on users of these products, or any other tracers that maybe I haven't checked out.
None of them are cheap, so I'd like to find out as much as possible before taking any plunge!

Thanks,
Sky

i have the 61-958, that was my choice.... i also have a amprobe 326-b,
which is a 20 year old design, and still being sold, as it's probably one
of the most sensitive units out there.....

the 326-b used to be about $900, but then fluke bought amprobe, and
the price went up to $1,200... a good used on on ebay runs about $400.

i'll probably sell my 326-b there eventually, but i was holding on to it for a
while to see how the ideal worked out, and it's good.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I have two Amprobe models I struggled with for years. I got the Ideal about four months ago and it's my new best friend. I never knew wire tracing could be so enjoyable and precise. The video instruction is great.

Mark

sw_ross

Thanks for the feedback. It's quite an investment for something you won't use everyday, but when you need it I'm sure you're glad you've got it!

I see this as a tool that would be very useful when you go into an older house that has had various electrical modifications (especially by the HO) and you're trying to figure out issues.

I'll need to keep reading about them, and keeping an eye on ebay.

Sky

Ideal Sure-Test 61-954.... Finally broke down a year ago and got one (around $650 I think). It took me a while to get used to it but I love it. It is SUPER sensitive. Good thing it has 4 sensitivity levels and a digital display.

hurk27

Thanks for the feedback. It's quite an investment for something you won't use everyday, but when you need it I'm sure you're glad you've got it!

I see this as a tool that would be very useful when you go into an older house that has had various electrical modifications (especially by the HO) and you're trying to figure out issues.

I'll need to keep reading about them, and keeping an eye on ebay.

Sky

Circuit tracers do have a good place in trouble shooting, I laugh when I get service calls where a customer lost half of the receptacles on a circuit and I go in and plug my Green Lee transmitter into one of the receptacle then go around to each receptacle including the ones still working, and find the lost connection at a receptacle that was still working, they will state I would have never looked there for it, and many don't, or another response is Wow the last time this happened it took a guy 6 hours taking every thing apart before he found it, which I rarely take over an hour on these, make for a good return customer every time.

hurk27

Ideal Sure-Test 61-954.... Finally broke down a year ago and got one (around $650 I think). It took me a while to get used to it but I love it. It is SUPER sensitive. Good thing it has 4 sensitivity levels and a digital display.

While the sure test is a good circuit analyzer, it doesn't trace circuits very well, which is what this thread was about?

Status
Not open for further replies.