Dimming duplex outlet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Got into a little argument with the bosses son. He wanted me to replace a switch that controls a typical duplex receptacle with a dimmer. I told him I believe you can't do that unless you install a special outlet. I could be mistaken but can't find it in the code. Can anyone help me please?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
You win. 404.14(E) Lutron makes a "dimmer " recep. and a matching cord cap. As we all know this is violated all the time. IMO it is very poor practice and leads to problems.

Hendrix

Got into a little argument with the bosses son. He wanted me to replace a switch that controls a typical duplex receptacle with a dimmer. I told him I believe you can't do that unless you install a special outlet. I could be mistaken but can't find it in the code. Can anyone help me please?
See what happens when a receptacle is dimmed with a 600w dimmer and a vacume cleaner is plugged into it:jawdrop:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As we all know this is violated all the time. IMO it is very poor practice and leads to problems.
It may be done in your area all the time but I have never seen it done.

Roger

realolman

I don't know for sure, but I think this was legal until fairly recently. I'd say the 80's but that's just a guess.

I guess that's not very recent after all is it?

or it could have been 2002.

Last edited:

maghazadeh

I don't agree with it. Say someone plugs something like a computer or an LED tv into the outlet imo a stupid move to install a dimmer on an outlet

dSilanskas, If you listen to the boss's son by installing the dimmer, end user could have the benefit of putting his/hers computer on the power saving mode!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.